Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Jan 12, 2017, 06:21 AM
    Moving two hours away
    I'm moving soon. Have been packing over two decades of possessions. Got a good
    Referral for a moving company. Question: do I have to empty my file cabinets...
    I know I have to empty draws , but I have five file cabinets.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 12, 2017, 07:43 AM
    Ask the moving company.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 12, 2017, 03:09 PM
    Usually movers want drawers emptied because a) the cabinets/dressers are VERY heavy with contents and b) things fall down the backs of drawers. Some get jammed in there, or ruined, or even fall down to the bottom and out onto the truck or ground.
    Aside from that, furniture gets jostled a lot over the roads. A 4 drawer file cabinet can't take it, unless it's a very expensive brand. If it isn't strapped in tightly, it will start bumping into whatever's next to it, and so on....
    Empty them. Consider weeding out a lot of papers. That's the one fun part of moving.

Jan 12, 2017, 04:31 PM
    Thank you... I had emailed the movers but never got a reply.. I'll start
    Emptying
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2017, 05:45 PM
    I will agree, I have moved file cabinets twice without empty, and both times they were damaged because of the weight and movement.

Personally I ended up renting my own truck, and hiring my own workers after using several moving companies.

Jan 12, 2017, 08:11 PM
    Yes, I'm already planning (in my head) how I'm going to pack my files and
    Keep them in order. If I were even fifteen years younger, that's exactly
    What I would do... it's how I emptied my mom's apt when she died.. we
    Rented a truck... but now I'm too far over the hill and my strength is not
    What it was. Fortunately I have a close friend who has always used these
    Movers and she couldn't speak any more highly of them... they have
    Excellent writeups on yelp too.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 12, 2017, 10:59 PM
    There are file boxes you can get. They're moving boxes fit for files, have metal rungs to hang the files on. It would take quite a few to contain all your files if your file cabinet is full, but it's the best way to move files, and a small box of paperwork is much easier to move than a full cabinet.

Once you're moved, putting the files back in order is as simple as opening the boxes and moving the files. I would highly recommend these boxes for moving. It makes life so much easier when it comes to files.

I also do agree that this is the perfect time to go through all your papers and get rid of the stuff you don't need.

Good luck. :)

Jan 13, 2017, 03:12 PM
    Thank you... I just got some wonderful boxes which will fit my files and my
    Files are the hanging kind... you're right, that will work out just fine. I guess
    I just feel a bit overwhelmed for living here over 20 years and just didn't
    Expect my landlord to sell... Thank you for getting back to me
    Pets Expert

Jan 13, 2017, 04:34 PM
    I can't imagine moving. We've lived in our house for 21 years, and have accumulated a lot of junk. A part of me would like to move just so we have no choice but to get rid of stuff, but we'd need months to get everything packed up or thrown out.

I hope the move goes smoothly. It is never easy to move, especially when you've been someplace for so long, but look at it as a new adventure, and a fresh new place as well. Sometimes change is a good thing, and exciting, even if it's stressful.

Jan 13, 2017, 06:13 PM
    I'm trying... I'm a city person (NY) moving upstate where it's less hectic but it will take getting use to... Just tossed out 20 VCR's LOL!
    Pets Expert

Jan 13, 2017, 06:52 PM
    20 VCR's. LOL! Wow, you may actually be on par with me. I'm sure I could scrounge up at least that many if I actually had to pack everything. :)

You'll be fine. Keep me posted on how it goes, and how you like your new place. I have a feeling you'll settle in very well, and really enjoy your new digs. :)

Jan 13, 2017, 07:58 PM
    I see you're a pet expert. I've been feeding ferals for all those years..
    Had many TNR'd but only one in this last group of 6.. and now I'm
    Moving.. left letters in the mailboxes of every neighbor begging
    Them to feed the cats... no replies... that's the hardest part of moving
    Pets Expert

Jan 13, 2017, 08:11 PM
    Sissy? Is that you?

I have a friend going through the same thing you are. She's being forced to move, landlord is selling the place, and she's been feeding a colony of feral cats for years. Would be really really really weird if you are one and the same. She's a new friend, someone I met through another friend. Would really really be a "it's a small world" moment if you and she are the same person.

You're in New York? Is that right? I'll do some research, see if I can find any cat sanctuaries near you that would be willing to help with the cats. Sadly when it comes to computer skills, I'm lacking, but I'll give it my best effort.

Luckily feral pets aren't a huge problem where I live, but I totally understand why you're upset about having to leave them. I would be too.

Wish I had an easy fix for this. I will do my best to try and find outside help for your cats, and yes, to me they're your cats. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2017, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    I see you're a pet expert. I've been feeding ferals for all those years..
    Had many TNR'd but only one in this last group of 6.. and now I'm
    Moving.. left letters in the mailboxes of every neighbor begging
    Them to feed the cats... no replies... that's the hardest part of moving
    You didn't contact Alley Cat Allies?

Jan 14, 2017, 07:31 AM
    Yes I did but there's no way I can get them fixed and even with that nothing there will help me.

I'm cutting back on the feeding in hopes they will find other places to eat.
    Sanctuaries are not going to take them or no kill shelters where they would
    Be sitting in a cage 24/7 anyway. Better they take their chances on the
    Outside. These are coincidences with your friend Sissy... but that's not me!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 15, 2017, 06:27 AM
    I'm still flabbergasted about your 20 VCRs. How does that happen? Given to you, found, bought at yard sales? I sold mine for $1 about 10 years ago.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 15, 2017, 09:39 AM
    Allied Cat Allies works with your area vets to do TNR. Have you at least contacted vets to alert them to the existence of this colony?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Previous parenting plan in place now parents moving 2.5 hours apart [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am enquiring on behalf of my partner. Him and his ex have been separated for over two years and since separation they have shared equal custody of their child on a Mon-Tue, Fri-Sun one week and wed-thuds the following week which has worked out really well. They also share all costs of day...

Dr bill I drank 10 drinks in 8 and half hours. Will I pass EtG test 86 hours later [ 18 Answers ]

I had 10 redbull and vodkas and I'm 35 in good shape. It was about 1:30 on my last drink and test was 86 hours later. Do u think I will pass?

How can I deal with the fact that my son and daughter in law are moving three hours a [ 3 Answers ]

My son and daughter in law are moving three hours away to an area closer to her family. They have an adorable 20 month old who my husband and I are very close to. We have baby sat for them anytime they needed us and have enjoyed everyday. She is our only grandchild and we are so sad that they...

Two taps can fill a tank in 75/8 hours .Tap of larger diameter take 10 hours less tha [ 1 Answers ]

Two taps can filla tank in 75/8 hours.If tap of larger diameter take 10 hours less than the smaller one to fill the tank separately.Find the time taken by the taps to fill the tank separately?

View more questions Search