Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Jan 11, 2017, 08:58 PM
    Oil on floor by gas/brake pedal
    I drove into the city and realized the floor between my gas pedal and my seat
    Was wet. I felt it was oil. I know I will have to make an appt with the mechanic,
    But I thought I could get a heads up on it so I don't get taken advantage of.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2017, 09:09 PM
    There is nothing there that would be oil. Spill something? Heater cores are usually on the passenger side. Possible master cylinder leak but that would be under the dash. Maybe windshield washer fluid?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2017, 09:16 PM
    Unless you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge (means its got to be a really old vehicle) or an older Mercedes Diesel... (ruptured diaphram on the shutoff solenoid would send oil up to the ignition switch area and make an ugly black mess.

With what little information you gave we really can do much but guess... you didn't describe the liquid or even tell us what kind of car it is and year.

If you can't fix it yourself you are open to being taken advantage of. Sorry but that's just how it is and why some of us fix our own stuff (besides the fact we know how to).
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 12, 2017, 06:29 AM
    I could be coolant.
    What vehicle is this?
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Jan 12, 2017, 07:11 AM
    I can't fix cars... I'm a senior who has had the car for three years but bought
    It from my roommate whose Mom died.. it's a 2000 malibu chevy with only
    41,000 orig miles (her mom only took it to garden clubs.. living in a small
    Town, never went anywhere) I'm at the mercy of the mechanic

2000 chevy malibu... 41K miles (belong to someone in her late 80's who
    Hardly drove it) I'm off to the mechanic... hope he doesn't soak me.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2017, 06:48 PM
    I have actually seen this before. Oil can wick itself through an engine wiring harness into the dash harness.
    In my case oil bypassed through an internally leaking cam position sensor right into the interior cabin landing on the passengers feet. This is where it ended at the ecm behind the glovebox.
    So it is possible it's actually engine oil. Stranger things have happened in the car biz.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slight vibration on gas and brake pedal [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I have an 07 Ford Fusion V6 with slight vibration on gas and brake pedals and steering wheel. What happened a month ago I blew off a spark plug from the engine, I was running on 5 cylinders before I pulled over. Threads was ripped out and coil melted. Anyway, it has been re threaded, spark...

Brake pedal goes to floor when engine is on. [ 5 Answers ]

Brake pedal goes to floor when engine is on and don't when car is turned off. When off pedal is nice and stiff,, but when engine is turned on, NO pedal. It goes to the floor. Father in law thinks it maybe booster. Has anyone else had this problem.

John Deere stx30 Brake problem. Pedal goes almost to floor board and barely stops. [ 0 Answers ]

John deere stx30 brake problem-pedal goes to floor board- no manual

View more questions Search