Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techtimdavis Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2017, 07:53 PM
    2001 Ford F-250 battery light stays on
    2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty with 7.3L Diesel
    Battery light is on constantly after one of the positive battery cable ends got broke.

Things done since cable broke:

1. Replaced positive cable to both batteries and to starter (all one piece) $100
    2. Replaced both batteries.
    3. Replaced serpentine belt.
    4. Replaced broken belt tensioner.
    5. Had alternator tested (tested good) on vehicle.

What else would cause this light to stay on all the time?Name:  Battery Light is ON!!!.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  56.3 KB
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 12, 2017, 06:34 AM
    The only thing that can turn that light on is either a faulty alternator or the LG/RD wire has a short to Ground.
    When you say the alternator was tested, do you know if that particular internal circuit was verified?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2017, 07:13 AM
    The problem is likely with the alternator. In most cases, replacing the external voltage regulator/brush assembly will solve the problem. It's an easy job--disconnect the negative battery cable and use a Torx 20 bit to remove the screws mounting the voltage regulator brush assembly. Using a paper clip or drill bit, to temporarily hold the compressed brushes in place, simply install the new assembly and button things up. My bet is the brushes are worn down too far.

While you are at it, clean both ends of the alternator cable, the battery ground going to the frame, and the 150 amp mega fuse connections on the end of the fuse box. One final thing: check the mega fuse with a multi-meter. While the engine is running, the regulated battery voltage across the battery terminals should be 14 to 15 volts.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2017, 09:07 AM
    I agree Brushes will do that, and lite may go on and off before total failure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is the battery light still illuminated on 2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty? [ 2 Answers ]

I just had both batteries changed, also changed out the positive cable that goes between both batteries, and starter. The battery light on the dash stays on. I had the new batteries and the alternator tested and they are all good, so why is the battery light still on?

My john deer 185 battery light stays on could it be tand battery does not charge [ 1 Answers ]

My 185 lawn tractor battery lite stays on and the battery does not charge. Could it be the regulator or something else

I have a 97 Ford F 250. The fuel filter light comes on and the engine shuts off. The [ 4 Answers ]

The next day it runs and drives then the fuel filter light comes on again and it happens again. I have changed the filter and the fuel pump, what is going on? Frustrated Dan

2001 Ford Windstar: Tranmission Slip followed by Emissions Light [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 2001 Ford Windstar that has 100,000 miles and has been very well maintained. I recently drove it from flat Illinois to the mountains of Pennsylvania and Virginia. While driving the steep inclines, I felt what seemed to be transmission slip right at 55 mph, go 54 runs fine, go...

John Deere 185 Hydro Charging/Battery light stays on [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a used JD 185 Hydro Lawn Tractor and it runs perfect... but the dash battery light stays on all the time. I wonder if it is supposed to stay on... or is the battery not being charged when light is on? Also... I've discovered a cure for the center-mounted "free-wheel" knob... getting it...

View more questions Search