Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blm1710 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2017, 09:29 PM
    How do I break it down to solve itt
    The U.S. Congress has a total of 535 members. If the number of representatives is 65 less
    than five times the number of senators, how many senators and how many representatives
    are in Congress? HINT: Let N = the number of Senate members
    Total number of congressional members =
    Expression for number of House members =
    Expression for number of Senate members =
    Expression for total members in Congress =
    Number of Senate members (N) =
    Number of House members =
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 12, 2017, 09:54 AM
    I really dislike the way they laid this out for you, as it's a guessing game as to what to put for each line. There are several ways to solve this problem, so forcing this particular sequence of logical steps is (IMO) not helpful. But be that as it may...

They suggest letting N = number of Senate members. You will also need a variable for the number of House of Representatives members - lets call it R. To get you started then, the total number of members of congress is:

R+N = 535.

For the second line use the fact that "the number of representatives is 65 less
    than five times the number of senators." Can you put this in terms of an equation for R =... ? Once you have that, the rest should come pretty easy. Post back with your attempt and we'll help you along if you need it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Itt thermostats [ 1 Answers ]

I need a replacement cover for a residential thermostat cat. No, T99BV3O3J 24 Volt max .3-.8amp. Where can I order this part from? Thx 62Spike

Waste water back in from septic will a siphon break solve it [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My septic tank backed up and sewage went into my drain hose in the washing machine and ruined it. I bought a siphon breat how will that stop sewage fronm getting in to the washing machine? Shouldn't I use a back flow protector instead? Thanks, Ed [email protected]

ITT thermostats [ 1 Answers ]

Need to replace an ITT Thermostat for an old gravity heater. The Cat. No. on the existing unit it #T80AV100B. For use with Millivolt 12 V.S.C. AT. 060 amps, 24 V.A.C. AT. 060 amps circuits only. Any way to locate one?

How do I do itt? [ 6 Answers ]

How do I solve 3(4+3)to the second power-1?? Gahh. I hate algebraa!

View more questions Search