Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    micale24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2017, 05:07 AM
    Equipment grounding in Antarctica
    I'm airfield systems tech at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. My issues is the grounding of the electronics that are located on a 200-300 meter thick ice shelf. Therefore, no earth ground is easily accessible for my equipment. We are having issues with our equipment and I believe that the lack of grounding has caused an increase of static electricity while replacing ESD sensitive circuit cards due to the charge our bodies naturally produce. In essence, we obtain a fault with our system, a tech replaces the indicated card, and the system continues to be inoperable. Is it possible to ground electronic equipment without an earth ground? Is it possible to minimize static electricity by any other means?

I appreciate any advice,
    K. Hall
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2017, 05:52 AM
    There are volumes of products and methods for reduction or control of static. Flooring for example in hospitals...
    The solution begins where your power is produced. The point where your "zero" of neutral is established needs to include the bonding of all potentially conductive components like building steel, concrete footings of your building, all metal piping, metal ventilation duct-work, etc...

A survey of all electrical distribution systems should be done to verify multiple neutral to equipment ground bonds "have not" been made. Bonding of neutral and equipment ground needs to be made "one time" only or circulating currents could be produced which can generate noise.

IEEE has books on grounding and bonding that may be helpful...

Stay warm..
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 11, 2017, 12:12 PM
    I found this online: supporting hfcarson's advice, you create a single "equipotential" plane" and use it as the common ground. Apparently this is similar to how "grounding" is done onboard ships.

See: http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...sp-e1_spsm.pdf
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2017, 07:38 AM
    and if you wish to explore creating an "equipotential plane" let us know,
    If your buildings contain mostly concrete and steel this may not be difficult..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equipment grounding circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a home built in 1953. It has two prong and improperly installed three-prong outlets. I have a recessed vacuum to install and the directions require an electrical grounding conductor. My questions is: if I install an electrical grounding conductor along with a GFI at an outlet at the...

Process of formation of glaciers in Antarctica? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. I have a confusion about formation of glaciers in antarctica that only small amount of water is converted into ice but not all , however temp. is nearly same there then why only small amt. of ice is there in sea of antarctica region? why not all water?

Differnce between neutral grounding and separated grounding [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between neutral and separate grounding?? Why and when do you defer between them?? Basically why do we ground, what's its purpose and what are the differences between the varying methods. I hope I don't sound dumb but the US NAVY nuclear electrical school didn't teach me ...

Anthropology in antarctica [ 2 Answers ]

Has any evidence ever been found to indicate that humans lived in Antarctica? How much of the continent is actually not buried in ice? Thank you

View more questions Search