Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mfjmaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2017, 11:39 PM
    Why do flowers have the same amount of petals as stamens?
    We have been studying the parts of a plant when we came across the question. I cant find the answer anywhere so was wondering if you could help me. Thanks

My question: why do flowers have the same amount of petals as stamens?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 7, 2017, 07:37 AM
    Probably for the same reason you have as many fingers as toes my friend. That's the way nature planned it and so it is.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2017, 10:02 AM
    Botanists ganerally agree that petals, stamens, sepals and pistils are modified versions of each other. The total flower may have evolved but the component parts basically remained the same. Cars, for example, from Model T to a new Porsche may look different but they still have 1 hood and 2 front fenders. Every person on this planet, except for possible genetic reasons has 5 toes , 4 fingers and an opposing thumb.
    AimeeHoward Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2017, 06:15 AM
    I think that there is no direct relation between the number of stamens and petals .But stamens may be haplo stamonous which means that usually as many as the number of sepals or petals e.g. So there is correlation, but is hard to be investigated and explained.
    Regards,
    Aimee

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the amount of SSI affect the amount of child support? [ 1 Answers ]

My son has downs syndrome and receives SSI. I also receive child support for life due to his handicap. My ex is going for modification. Does the amount of SSI affect the amount of child support?

Eating Lotus petals while pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 8 weeks pregnant. One of my relatives has suggested to eat raw Lotus petals to support pregnancy. Is it recommended or will it have any side effects? Please suggest. Regards, Shruha

View more questions Search