Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edgibbons Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2017, 04:08 PM
    Aux heat not working properly
    Aux heat on electric Heil heat pump system will work for a few minutes, then stop blowing hot air. If I turn the heater off and back on at the circuit breaker on the unit, it will go back to blowing hot air again for a few minutes, then same problem.

Of course, this only started happening when the temperature got extremely cold outside. It seems like the aux heat is coming on for a short time, then reverting back to the heat pump. The same thing happens in emergency heat mode.

The thermostat is old - mercury switch old. When using AUX heat, the LED light remains on, even after it stops blowing hot air.

I have American Home Shield coverage on the unit, but to call a tech out still costs $100. I am thinking about going to buy a new thermostat and trying it first, but I thought I would ask here first if that may be the problem. The difference would be spending close to $100 on a thermostat and not have it work, then have to spend another $100 calling a tech, or calling a tech and have to wait a few days to spend $100 and have them tell me it's a thermostat issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out some similar questions!

Aux Heat not working normally? (only up 4F in 2 hours) [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, (I know very little about this subject, though I've tried to learn A lot in the last 2 weeks) I have a First Co. 30VDX15-HP heatpump unit in my apt with a Lux TX9100E Thermostat. At night my temperature is set to 62F and to 68F in the morning. After 2 hours it's only up by 4...

Its 20 degrees outside the outside unit not working aux heat is on [ 0 Answers ]

It is 20 degrees out side we just had a major snowstorm the outside unit had snow built up around it on three sides, I cleaned it off and around it, but the outside unit doesn't seem to be working, the heat seems to be working, it is warm inside the thermostat shows aux heat. The unit is only 1...

Heat Pump But Aux Heat Not Working [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I have a relatively new house (2.5 years) that has an American Standard Heat Pump (2a6b3018-060a1000a). It also has some form of American Standard aux heater (bayhtr?? ) in the air handler. This is controlled by a Panasonic TH8000 thermostat. We have had a long period of cold weather here...

Emergency heat on, Aux heat off, fan working. [ 29 Answers ]

I do have heat. The fan outside is working on the heat pump. Inside unit is on. Heat Pump is set to Aux heat, with AUTO for fan. But the Aux heat is NOT what is on. The Aux light is OFF. I do NOT have it set to emergency heat, but the emergency heat light is ON. :eek: What is...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.