Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edjag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Tub draining into washing machine?
    Hi!
    My front load washing machine occasionally has water (1-2 gallons) in it even though it has not been in use. I suspect the bathroom shower/tub upstairs may somehow be leaking water (draining) into the machine when it receives heavy use. Is this even possible and who should I call, a plumber or a repair person for the washing machine? I would appreciate any information.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Apr 15, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Well, my initial thought right off the bat is that you could test your theory by filling the suspected tub with water, add a couple of drops of food coloring, and then drain the tub. If the water showing up in the washer is colored, then you have your answer. ;)

Although I suspect it may be a leaky solenoid (that's the valve(s) that lets water into the machine). You can test that particular theory by turning off the supply lines leading to the machine for a while, and see if it fills anyway. If it doesn't, it's the solenoid(s), or some other part of the machine - either way, it would be out of the realm of plumbing, and into the realm of appliance repair.

Let us know if you require any further assistance. :)

Good luck!
    Moishe
    Note: if this post was helpful, please rate it by clicking "Rate This Answer" below. Thank you.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by edjag
    Hi!
    My front load washing machine occasionally has water (1-2 gallons) in it even though it has not been in use. I suspect the bathroom shower/tub upstairs may somehow be leaking water (draining) into the machine when it receives heavy use. Is this even possible and who should I call, a plumber or a repair person for the washing machine? I would appreciate any information.
    I really don't see this as a possibility.

The water would have to travel through a p-trap, sneak it's way past a 1" drain hose that is loosely fitted into a 2" riser, travel up the "U" in the top of the drain hose, back down the drain hose that exits at the bottom of the clotheswasher, through a check valve and centrifugal pump before entering the tub of the clotheswasher.

Doesn't seem too likely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine draining into sink! [ 2 Answers ]

When I run my waher, the kitchen sink fills up with soapy water! It does not overflow but almost! My washer is obviously not draining correctly! Please help!

Washing machine draining into kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I know it may seem like this question has been covered a zillion times but here we go again... I live in a block of flats, only 10 storeys high and I live in the penthouse suite (NOT!) - on top floor basically. Just acquired a new Hoover VisionHD washing machine which has been...

Washing machine woes continue: not draining fully [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Seems like I can't get past my wachine machine woes. I live in a condo buidling and replaced the old stacked washer/dryer with a newer one. One of the first problems I encountered was the pump being too strong, therefore when the water would get drained out of the washer, the water...

Draining washing machine water into yard [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to put my grey water from my washing machine into a hole with rock in it about 75' from the house. Does this sound like a good idea? Will the soap cause a lot of problems for the ground? Is there a specific kind of soap to use, if you have a septic system?

Washing Machine Draining Woes [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I recently purchased a home (built in 1968). When we ran our first load of laundry the drain backed up and our floor was covered in water. After talking to the previous owner and researching online, here is what we have tried and what we have noticed: 1. We snaked the vent on...

View more questions Search