Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2016, 10:49 AM
    School district question
    So from my understanding, school districts are only comprised of public schools (including charter schools) and can either be independent or dependent. If they're independent, they rely on themselves for funding and tax money, but if they're dependent, they rely on either the local or state government for funding and regulation. And when they're independent, they can make their own rules as long as they don't contradict those made by the state or county, kind of like a state's relationship to the country. But my question is, since school districts can cross over to more than one county or more than one state, how do they know who's regulations to follow if they're independent, or who they're getting taxes/funding from if they're dependent?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Dec 31, 2016, 04:25 PM
    Is this homework? It's a simple answer. In the U.S. you can view school districts' policies and procedures, including funding online.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2016, 05:30 PM
    Each school district is just that, able to set their own rules for their districts. Seldom is there really any independent schools, if they report to the district, since as such, they are under the districts rules and regs.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2016, 08:15 PM
    Never saw a school district extend outside a county and particularly a state boundary. Where did you get your information to make such a statement?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2017, 06:09 AM
    School districts are government entities on the county or city level. Never seen it any other way. A public school is run under the local district. A private school is not. I've never heard of the designation dependent or independent.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 3, 2017, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0614
    Never saw a school district extend outside a county and particularly a state boundary. Where did you get your information to make such a statement?
    It's not uncommon. There are towns that span across county lines, and it wouldn't be unusual for the school district serving that town to also span county lines. For example Naperville IL is served by two school districts, both of which sit in parts of two different counties. And there are cities that encompass multiple counties - NYC comes to mind; it contains five counties, run by one school administration. As for districts that cross state lines, I am aware of two: the Rivendell School District covers three VT towns (Fairlee, West Fairless, and Vershire) as well as Bradford NH (fans of "The Lord of the Rings" will recognize the "Rivendell" name), and just a little further south the schools of Hanover, NH and Norwich VT are also incorporated into a single district. There may be others, but they are certainly unusual. The establishment of these cross-state districts required agreements between both states' boards of education. Do a search on Rivendell School District and you'll find links to the documents that authorized creation of the district.

To the OP: as for terms "dependent and "independent" - the term "Independent School" is sometimes used as a synonym for "private school." For example the National Association of Independent Schools is a consortium of private schools. But it seems you are using these terms for public schools, which I've not heard before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Joint Custody - Which school district to enroll in? [ 1 Answers ]

My exhusband and I both live in McHenry County, Illinois. We currently have joint legal custody, and 50/50 parenting time. Once our daughter starts kindergarten, we still have shared legal custody, but his visitation is reduced to every other weekend and a few hours Wednesday afternoons. I...

Can the school district make me salaried, when I am paid hourly? [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a school district and we follow the school year calendar from July 1st through June 30. I work 52 weeks, 37.5 hours per week, and hourly paid, not salaried. The district is saying there are 27 pay periods, rather than the normal 26 pay periods, this 2011-2012 school year, and...

I work at a School District and I need to know if I can request a W-9 from everyone [ 1 Answers ]

I work at a School District and we are currently being audited by the IRS. We are getting dinged because we didn't have a W-9 for everyone we paid. I have requested a W-9 from all vendors (which has been no problem) but a teacher or any person that we are paying for any reason do not want to give...

Contempt or not? Moving out of school district [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, First a little background! I have represented myself over the last five years since my ex and I divorced. He has always had an attorney, but I was fortunate enough to get almost everything I wanted. I feel the children's relationship with their father is very important. I am their primary...

California school district [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old son that is living with his aunt in another city. He has been doing great since he has moved out of the house but now the school district wants to verifiy his residence. My husband lived with him last year but he wants to move back home. What can I do so he can stay in the...

View more questions Search