Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtdewd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2016, 09:55 PM
    Craftsman Riding Mower Starter Cranks With Key in "On" Position
    Craftsman GT3000 Riding Mower with 23hp kohler engine, was starting and running fine. Went to lunch, and then no response from key. Took starter out, connected with jumper wires to test, all worked well. Put starter back in, and now the starter wants to crank as soon as I turn the key on. Testing with meter, and there is power to the small blue wire on starter as long as key is in "on" position. Turning back and forth to all positions, including "start" has no effect, the starter keeps cranking. I checked start switch, and all positions work as outlined in manual. I traced wires, and found no problems. Unplugging the blue spade connection on starter stops it, and turning key off stops it, so it's not a sticking solenoid, there is just power on the blue wire when there shouldn't be. I have a gremlin prankster messing with me?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 31, 2016, 05:20 AM
    Take apart again and insure that there is no wires touching frame.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 31, 2016, 11:19 AM
    Hi,
    The ignition switch is one of the most failed pieces of a riding mower. Suspect it, about a $15 part I think.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2017, 09:11 PM
    Check Solenoid .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman riding lawn mower starter engages but won't crank motor over [ 1 Answers ]

Craftsman 18 hp, new battery took guard off starter seems to engage but not turn motor over. I tried turning myself but would only spin about 1/4 turn & stop. Was working fine then just quit!

Craftsman LT100 riding mower, can't get power to the starter [ 4 Answers ]

Good battery, new ignition switch and new starter solenoid. I have 12 volts on ignition switch side of solenoid, but when the key is turned to start position, it clicks and I never get power to the starter. When the key is turned to the first position to power the lights, they come on and I still...

Craftsman trying to start while key is in on position? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 44" 16hp riding mower and I have peplaced the starter, solonoid, and ignition switch. I knew the starter had been out for a while and that got it started only by jumping acrossed th solinoid due to the fuse blowing every time the key was turned on, the wires are in good shape and...

Craftsman riding mower - Where to buy starter? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman riding lawn mower, model #917.270930. At the end of last cutting season, the engine would turn over, but not crank. Starter made a grinding sound. The teeth on the starter appear to have shredded. (Looks like they're made of plastic.) The sears parts website doesn't appear...

Craftsman Riding mower, no compression, leaks oil near starter [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I think my Craftsman riding mower (16.5HP electric start) has a blown head gasket or worse. The engine can be turned with no resistance (I don't have a compression tester but I can tell there's no compression). I notice that oil is leaking when the engine is turning over, right behind the...

View more questions Search