Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pablognecco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2016, 11:10 AM
    Can a light bulb socket power a electric heater?
    How much electricity does a light bulb socket output. Does is output enough electricity to power up an electric heater that has 1,500 W as the high setting?

Thanks?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 27, 2016, 11:45 AM
    Your question as asked cannot be answered because of missing information.

For example, what is the amperage of the branch circuit that supplies the luminaire?

What is the existing load on the branch circuit that supplies the luminaire?

What is the required amperage of the heater?

It is not a simple as can I plug in a heater via an socket adapter.

Too much load creates too much heat within the branch circuit. To much heat in the circuit causes insulation to melt and wires to arc and fire!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 27, 2016, 01:39 PM
    Typically a lighting socket will be rated at 250W maximum, with some @ 600W max.

No way could you power any kind of space heater form one. The fact that you are even asking this is scary.

In my experience, space heaters are a leading cause of house fires.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2017, 10:59 AM
    They Make Heat Bulbs. Socket Rating may be different than the Fixture Rating. Above info is good. What do you want to screw into what? Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove light bulb from loose socket in ceiling fixture [ 5 Answers ]

The bulb burned out and when I tried to replace it I found it was stuck. So I used just a little elbow grease, and the socket came loose. So now it all turns round and round, and the bulb still doesn't come out. I don't want to twist the dratted wires off. And I can't grip the socket, because...

Put a bulb converter on light bulb for fan light and now the light doesn't work [ 1 Answers ]

I put a light bulb converter on a ceiling fan light to get more light and now it doesn't work. Fan works fine

The cost of electric power is 10 cents/kwh using a 300 watts light bulb and two 150 w [ 0 Answers ]

The cost of electric power is 10 cents/kwh using a 300 watts light bulb and two 150 watts television sets. The light bulb operates at an average of 10 hours/day and the 2 television sets operates at an average of 5 hours/day. What will be your electric bill in 1 month.

Correct voltage in light bulb socket, but bulb(s) won't light [ 1 Answers ]

Regarding a 4-light kit on a residential ceiling fan (Hampton Bay). 20 A circuit, nothing else on in circuit (house is vacant). No wall switch; all switching done at fan/light kit (separate pull chains). Fan turns fine. 122 VAC as measured w/ a Fluke meter within light bulb socket. Have...

When using a 3 way bulb in a standard light socket, which wattage lights up? [ 2 Answers ]

When using a 3 way bulb in a standard light socket, which wattage lights up? Lets say you screw in a 50-100-150watt 3 way bulb in a standard on/off lamp, which wattage will turn on when you turn on the lamp. What happens if you put a 3 way bulb into a non-switched lamp, planning to use a foot...

View more questions Search