Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chrystlite212 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Mar 11, 2005, 06:09 PM
    I Need HELP With A Decision!! More answers the better
    This is my third question today, and I am sorry to keep bothering everyone, but this is an emergency question. Two days ago, I bought a wonderful little Daschund, but I was suppose to have help raising him with my fiancée. Since the little Doxie only follows me, and only wants to play with me, my fiancée doesn't want to have anything to do with him. I don't have a car or much money, so I was depending on at least some help from my guy. Also, he left me here alone to go hang out, and I feel like this might start happening often. I am young and I don't want to always be left alone to take care of him by myself. Plus I work and am a student in college, so if my fiancée isn't helping any more than my little Doxie will be alone a lot. My question is, should I either try to sell him to someone better suited to raise him, try calling the breeder back and telling him it didn't work out (asking for a partial refund), or shoud I try to keep him although it will be stressful on the both of us (and I have already cried once about this today). Please, I love the little guy, but I need some help. I don't know what to do. I don't want all my freedom taking, and I don't want him to have to be alone. PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2005, 06:42 PM
    This sounds like a tough people problem. My first thought is to keep the puppy and dump the fiancée. Surely you can find somebody more supportive. The small breed dogs can easily live 15-20 years with good care. If you keep the puppy, you are making a long term commitment. I feel very comfortable about what I told you about caring for the puppy in my first 2 answers. This question gets away from my experience and training.

Your fiancée may need to give the puppy more time. It may have seen very little of men and never had one pay any attention to it. If he gave it more time, likely it would respond to him. If he is using its lack of response to him as an excuse to ignore it, as he wants to, you may have learned an important part about him. How supportive will he be with children?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2005, 06:36 AM
    Keep or not
    Hi,
    In your particular situation, I feel you really don't need a dog right now.
    With your work, studies, etc, there will not be too much time for the dog. The longer you keep it, the more it will become like a part of your "family". It will be a lot on you.

I would also think twice about your girlfriend; if she has changed her mind so quickly, there might be other problems along the way with her.

After going through working and college at the same time myself years ago, I really am glad I didn't take my dog with me. She stayed at home with Mom and Dad during those years.

Best of luck,
    fredg
    Chrystlite212 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Mar 12, 2005, 07:56 AM
    Thanks for advice
    Hi,
    Thanks for the advice. I have emailed the breeder making him aware of the situation. Hopefully he will be willing to work with me on this one. I just want the best for this little guy! He is so sweet and loving.
    Snoopaloop Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2005, 05:06 AM
    Fate or accident?
    I can't help but wonder why the cards fall as they do sometimes? Are there any forces that surround us that force us to make these difficult decissions? A life falls into your lap, something you love and the person that would be your team mate for life has abandoned you to deal with this daunting task. You seek advice from others as if they should tell you what to do but will the answers be pleasing to your ears?

Some might suggest that you leave the one who has left you. Others will say you don't need this aggravation this early in your life. Work on yourself, your education, your relationship. I wonder if this puppy is just some sort of test with regard to the path you will choose?

Your soul mate whom I know nothing about appears not to be a team player. This life will take you through sooooo many wonderful journeys that can turn out to be either disastrous or fun and exciting. Use your instinct to help guide you towards the latter.
    Shelley Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2005, 08:00 AM
    Keep the little guy!
    :) Hi there,
    Wow your plate sure is full! It sounds like your life is filled with tons responsibities and sometimes it can seem as though you aren't having fun, so no wonder you wanted a dog! Dogs provide such joy and fun but like your other things you got going on... school, work, fiancée... they require lots of work. Don't worry you can manage the dog, you got a small dog that doesn't require a lot of excerise, so that's good. Your fiancée doesn't sound very supportive of your dog, probably because maybe he is a little jealous because your attention must now be shared thus making him not want to help you out. He would probably never admit it but I bet he is jealous! Haha Its natural for him to feel this way although it is very immature of him. You bought the dog for YOU, forget about how your fiancée feels right now and he will come around in helping you sooner or later. This experience will mature your fiancée more than you will know. You can't force someone into doing something cause if you do why would you leave your dog with someone who doesn't even care about it! I sure wouldn't! Good Luck, don't give your doggie away, just plan a schedule of letting him out/feeding/naps... its good for dogs too.. your fiancée will come around just give him some time to get used to the new situation!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lawnmower decision [ 1 Answers ]

Lowe's ,Home Depot, Sears,Kmart,Target and Walmart... where can I get a dependable reliable riding tractor for $900-1000

The decision to breed! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just have a few questions which maybe someone can help me with. I've trawled the web for hours and just seem to go in circles! 1) What is the average size of a litter? 2) Is it safer to breed a medium/large size dog? (I have a bitch rough collie) 3) What is the best age for a bitch...

Is it the right decision? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 26 years old and involved with a 31year old woman called (A) who has a 8 year old daughter from a previous marriage of 8 years. We've been together on and off for two years. Met her just after her devorce went through. We once again split up and became good friends and last year I went overseas...

Big Decision [ 4 Answers ]

Ok. Me and this guy have been seeing each other on an off, mostly because I don't know how I feel about him, I have never really given him too big of a chance. Recently he joined the Army, and has gone to Iraq and since then come back also. He came home this past weekend and asked me to move with...

View more questions Search