Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dianewodtli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2016, 06:13 PM
    Tear stains in dogs
    I have maltese mix dog. He has what looks like blood coming out of eyes. What can do .
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 21, 2016, 07:03 PM
    There's really not much you can do other than constantly cleaning the fur around the eyes to clean away the stains.

This is a common issue with smaller dogs,especially white dogs because sadly on white dogs it's more noticeable. Maltese is one of the breeds that is highly prone to this.

There are a few things that can cause this. A dog with big eyes is more prone to this type of discharge. It could be that there's too much fur around your dogs eyes and a good trim may help. It could be a clogged tear duct, and if your dog has bigger eyes that can be a common thing for him.

Do have your dog checked by a vet to rule out an infection, especially if this is a new thing that wasn't an issue in the past.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dogs body has become rock hard as if it it gets bigger,his skin will tear.Its his [ 4 Answers ]

Diagnose my dogs symptions. How much do you charge?

My dogs are extremely aggressive towards other dogs, kicked out of 2 classes [ 7 Answers ]

We have to dogs both the same age (1year old) and they are scary aggressive if they see another dog on a walk and they've gone ape in two different training classes and been kicked out. How do we fix this? I don't want to put them down

Can MO landlord make tenant pay for carpet cleaning if normal wear and tear,no stains [ 2 Answers ]

Can MO landlord make tenant pay for carpet cleaning if normal wear and tear,no stains

Maltese tear stains [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the red tear stains on a maltese? I have tried a product called Crystal Eye by Four Paws but have not had any success. Any suggestions or home remedies?

Shih-Tzu With bad Tear Stains [ 1 Answers ]

I Have a male Shih-Tzu And he has really bad tear stains and around his mouth is very dark when it should be more less white:confused: If anyone can give me advise to make my little guy look better please let me know.I heard about this stuff called Angel Eyes but you have to order it and I don't...

View more questions Search