Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zanes_Mimi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2016, 11:50 AM
    Dog sucking on things
    My 1.5 yr old Female Min Pins are sucking and chewing the ends of pillows, sheets and blankets. I do not know how to make them stop and they are destroying expensive items.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 18, 2016, 01:10 PM
    This a puppy thing going on. She is not actually an adult until 2. Did she have toys that received the same treatment, or no toys at all. If she is ingesting some of this fabric, it could be dangerous to her intestines. And there is the possibility she is lacking something in her diet. What type of dog food do you feed her. There are multiple reasons she is doing this. Dogs suffer from anxiety and depression and act out to compensate the same we do. Does she spend a lot of time on her own in the house? Is she adequately exercised?

Tell us a little bit about this, please.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 18, 2016, 01:32 PM
    A friend of ours who got his dog at 5 weeks of age (way too young), had this issue. His vet said that it was because he was taken away from his mother too soon.

I'm not sure if I agree with that vet. I think this is just a habit that many dogs have. Our terrier does this, and will literally suck on my pillow until there's a hole.

It can be a hard habit to break, but with patience you can do it. First you have to be vigilant. Whenever you see one of the dogs doing this, remove the item, say no (be firm, but don't yell), and replace it with one of their toys saying "this is yours".

It will take time, and a lot of catching them in the act. Another way to discourage this is to put items you don't want destroyed, in a place where they can't get them. Or close the rooms where these items are so they can't gain access until they learn not to do this.

As a very last resort, there are sprays you can buy that dogs don't like the smell or taste of, which will make those items unsavory. But those sprays aren't cheap, don't always work, and unless you plan to use them forever, it's just a temporary fix. Training is really the best thing, but it can take time, so be patient.

I love min pins. Never had one myself, but they're such cute little dogs. I hope you get this worked out. Remember that nothing is easy when it comes to training, you will have to put in the work to get the results you want, but it's worth it in the end.

Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is neutered but still humps things why? [ 6 Answers ]

Could he still be fertile?

I have a boxer dog and he is good sometimes but he is naughty he gets my things [ 1 Answers ]

Born in october28,2009 He is 1 year old from now He is color brown He is a boxer dog

Curosity about dog sucking blanket. [ 9 Answers ]

I am the third owner of my doxie and Zeus is the first dog I have eve owned so I was wondering if it is normal for a dog to like to suck on things? When we first got him I made a place for him with a couple of blankets and a pillow because the first night we hadn't had a chance to buy him a dog...

What was the name of the dog that snickered at things his owner did all the time? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the dogs name that snickered at things his owner did all the time ?

Dog keeps peeing on our things. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old pomeranian who I let stay inside but here lately he has wanted to just get on my bed and pee or cock his leg up and pee on the side of it and if there is anything laying on the floor he tries to pee on it too. What should I do he uses the bathroom outside and I crate trained...

View more questions Search