Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2016, 05:13 AM
    Health Care Insurance
    An elderly woman lives with her son who is unemployed. She receives social security income. She is unable to afford health care for the son. She has been told, if the son gets sick, he will be cared for, due to the enactment of the Emergency Medical Treatment and active labor act. Passed by president Reagan.
    But in the event the hospital would sue the son (Who doesn’t have any assess) or would they go after his grandmother for the hospital bill?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2016, 05:34 AM
    How old is the son?
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2016, 09:46 AM
    36 years old
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 18, 2016, 01:13 PM
    Why is he unemployed ? Is he disabled in some way that makes him dependent on her for his lifelihood ? What do you mean, he doesn't have any assess ? If he has a social insurance number and is old enough surely, the hospital would go after him for the bill, but then, if he cant pay it, she would have to.

More information would be helpful, pastor.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2016, 02:08 PM
    Oh I see. They would go after his grandmother for the son's hospital bill.
    Hospital probably will attach her Social Security check. Thank You
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 18, 2016, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    Oh I see. They would go after his grandmother for the son's hospital bill.
    Hospital probably will attach her Social Security check. Thank You
    NO that is not what I meant, pastor. They cannot take her social security. I should have worded that differently. They will see that he is old enough to take care of himself, on paper, not physically, and he has his own social security no.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2016, 05:44 PM
    The Grandmother is in no way liable for the grandson's medical bills, unless she signs for him, when he goes into the hospital.

If he is poor, why does the grandson not have medicaid, even if he is working on limited income he can get medicaid.

If they are both poor ** and in the US, there is many types of welfare they should be getting.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2016, 05:58 PM
    Unless he is dependent on her or she files taxes with him as a dependent, she is not liable. I assume Pastor meant "assets".
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2016, 04:28 AM
    Thanks. He is not eligible for Medicaid in Florida under current guidelines. Florida is one of the states that didn't expand Medicaid.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 19, 2016, 06:03 AM
    To reiterate, NO parent or relative or anyone is responsible for the bills of an adult, unless they are married to each other.
    And you are right about Florida, which many people in other states don't realize.
    Only minors in FL can get Medicaid.

So if he loses any coverage under any act, and the hospital sues him, he can lose FUTURE assets, including a fraction of any program like Social Security.
    It is always best to go to the hospital financial office and fill out forms stating his situation. There are various ways to deal with medical bills. First they will make huge deductions (since their charges are totally ridiculous to begin with, and they know it), and there are programs ongoing for decades like Pell Grants.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2016, 08:04 AM
    Thanks so much. Let hope his health continues to be good.
    He is like a caretaker for his grandmother. He is one of many without health care in Florida. The universal access is not insurance. I remember
    About it from 1980’s. President Reagan passed it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 19, 2016, 08:51 AM
    I think you mean THIS.

Reagan’s healthcare mandate - Salon.com

In 1986, Congress passed the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, which contained the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act. The law requires hospitals to treat patients in need of emergency care regardless of their ability to pay, citizenship or even legal status. It applies to any hospital that takes Medicare funds, which is virtually every hospital in the country.
    (The highlight is mine-T)
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2016, 10:23 AM
    Correct
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2017, 03:26 AM
    I wonder if the hospital will sue anyone? Son doesn't have anything
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 18, 2017, 04:43 AM
    Suing and collecting are two different things. I doubt they sue grandma, but the son would be liable. Then how can they collect after judgement is granted? They will freeze any bank account, now or later, and garnish any earnings now or later.

Does he receive unemployment? Does he qualify for Medicaid? Has he applied?

Suing and collecting are two different things. I doubt they sue grandma, but the son would be liable. Then how can they collect after judgement is granted? They will freeze any bank account, now or later, and garnish any earnings now or later.

They don't go away because you can't pay.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 18, 2017, 05:37 AM
    They absolutely CANNOT sue grandma!
    In all cases, it is best for those who cannot pay to go into the financial office and tell them exactly what they get for income and from whom.
    That way they can write it off, apply for Pell funds, or ask for $5 a month for life. Try not to worry!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health and social care - hazards in health & social care settings [ 10 Answers ]

Explain the potential hazards in health and social care settings, you should include: 1. hazards: e.g. from workinh environment, working condition, poor staffing training, poor working practices, equipment, substance etc. 2. working environment: e.g. within an organisation's premises 3....

Long Term Health Care Insurance [ 5 Answers ]

What is everyone's thoughts on Long Term Health Care Ins. Insurance is always a gamble but with the cost of health care skyrocketing and the limitations of Medicare , I sometimes think having it would be a good thing. There is Medicaid but I have been in some of the facilities that cater to...

Switching from personal health insurance to my company's health insurance [ 4 Answers ]

I've been employed with my present company since 2009. I've paid for my own health insurance since 2009 (high deductible), though would like to switch to my company's health insurance. I was diagnosed with MS in June 2011 and it's a pre-existing condition. What do I need to know because of this...

Health care & home care [ 2 Answers ]

How do I set up health care & Home care agency?

Health Insurance and day care service [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for health insurance to benefit my family needs, such as elderly insurance that I could cover on the job and a business that offers child care as part of the job service.

View more questions Search