Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddddd1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2016, 07:53 AM
    DImming
    I have a problem with dimming lights
    1) house is 2 story and 1 family with basement
    2) i Have a 100 amp panel[/SIZE]
    3) I showed this problem to 2 electricians. They advised me to change my electric panel(since it was old and replace with new one and they siad it was a grounding issue)
    4) electrician replaced the electric panel and he grounded the wire to the water meter (Still did not solve the problem)
    5) problem seems worse at 12 pm to 5am and in very cold weather.
    6) Here is a video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byl...w?usp=drivesdk

7) This dimming is happening in all the rooms in the whole house.
    8) when a load goes on like the washing machine goes on, the lights dim on other circuits

a) What should my focus be to solve this problem?
    B) should I have an electrician install a pole in ground to further ground the panel
    c)should I call the utility company to see if the problem is on the outside of the house? Thanks for your help in advance.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2016, 08:04 AM
    Problem could be at Meter Can, Disconnect, Panel(s), Junctions/Connections, I would measure voltage at each location. Recently Changed out a Panel due to corrosion on Panel Lugs an buss. The had a problem with lights dimming. It was a 200 amp service 2 2/0 and 1/0 for neutral. The Neutral went right up to the Neutral lug, but Never connected. Amazing bulbs and other thing did not blow out. All neutral current was carried by the Ground? Was strange problem did not show up until lightning hit a nearby house? You can call Power Company to remove Meter and verify connections. Good Luck
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2016, 02:09 PM
    Dimming in all rooms leads back to insufficient house service. 100 Amp isn't much anymore. If you replaced the panel, did you also upgrade the service feed? What is the Amperage rating on the new panel? I've seen people put a 150 Amp panel in a house with the old 100 Amp service. Great way to have a fire. Consider that the washer is probably using 12% of rated load to the house and turning on a furnace, electric heater, dishwasher, electric room heater or other draw really loads down your 100 AMP service. The electrician who installed the panel should have done a 150 and had the power company run a new service to the meter box.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2016, 07:40 AM
    This is not a grounding issue or a capacity issue.

This looks like a bad connection somewhere.. most likely on the line side of the panel. Have the utility company come out and verify the connection from the utility lateral to the cable that runs into your panel also known as the "service point of connection". A good electrician could also do this. Pay careful attention to the neutral conductor. Next verify and tighten the line side connections into the panel.

Before you do anything else...do the above.
    (please let us all know what happens)

by the way, where are you located?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dimming the lights [ 1 Answers ]

[Hello there, I live in an older house and I have a lotof things plugged into the out lets, when my refrigeratror comes on it dims the kitchen lights, and when I use the toaster it dims the lights in the kitchen, what can be done to fix this problem?Also if I am using the toaster I can't use the...

Lights dimming periodically [ 2 Answers ]

I went to do a service call for a local restaurant that complained about their lights dimming when periodically throughout the day. I started at the panel and found that the feeder wires were supplying very close to 120 volts on every phase to ground and nuetral and 205-206 volts between phases. ...

Dimming a voltage [ 6 Answers ]

I've got a vexing issue in an old house, 1928, that I just bought. I get dimming that is not necessarily related to motor surges. The house has a 200 amp service, but some old and new wiring. I had an electrician out who said the dimming was normal in a house of this age.. but I can't see why with...

Lights dimming [ 1 Answers ]

What should I look for when troubleshooting lights that dim. When a contractor plugs in paint sprayer or air compressor it causes the lights to dim in the hallway. Too many circuits on that breaker? Or ---- Guy

Lights on one circuit keep dimming [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a home built in the 40's. It has the old cloth covered wiring, new panel and breakers (6 years old). I have one circuit (which is very much overloaded) that never had a problem before (as long as the blow dryer wasn't on with anything else). I recently replaced a switch in...

View more questions Search