Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neil137 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2016, 05:07 PM
    I'm in my Jr. year of electrical engineering... y
    Where/how would I start looking for a related "helper" job so I could earn some money and gain some knowledge in this area while attending school this coming semester? I will be taking diffy Q and classical physics II. I live in medina county Ohio if that helps. I have however not taken any classes having to do with electricity yet. Would any place hire me without this knowledge but based upon my progress in school? Any help would be appreciated!

26 years old if that makes a difference

By helper I mean like a internship/etc.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2016, 05:34 PM
    You have to research the companies where you live, find out who takes on apprentices, who's hiring, apply, and so on and so on.

Really, the amount of work involved is a lot to ask anyone to do as a volunteer, and that's what all of us are.

Ask the school, they may have a list of companies that hire apprentices, and you can go from there. Otherwise it's just a lot of research, a lot of phone calls, and a lot of trial and error.

Good luck.
    neil137 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2016, 05:38 PM
    Thank you, I was looking more for what kind of companies should I be calling? I wouldn't want to seem like I have no idea what I'm doing by calling an unrelated company, but not many if any companies advertise their use of electrical engineers, so I don't know what /kinds/ of companies to start with.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2016, 05:52 PM
    You're in school for this, so ask the school for a list of companies. If they don't have a list, then it's time to research, but if it's a good school they'll have a list.

The kinds of companies will vary. It depends on exactly what you're wanting to do in the electrical engineering field. Do you want to work installing electricity in new homes, do you want to work as a troubleshooter for businesses, do you want to sell electrical equipment..

Research. But first ask the school for a list of companies they most likely have that are looking to hire students from your college.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2016, 03:21 PM
    Since you aren't an engineer yet.. odds are you won't be working as an engineer with them yet either, now if they have an apprentice program you might be in luck so I'd ask about that among other things.

You have nothing to lose by asking. A few of the best jobs I've ever had I lucked into and almost never sent my resume to because I felt it was a longshot.

What you can be certain of, nobody is going to be knocking on your door. You have to take the initiative and actively market yourself out there. Most will turn you down... but view that as practice honing your skills.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 17, 2016, 09:58 AM
    A helper is an entry level job and you can best get one by first getting a list of contractor and local companies in related fields. Start with electrical contractors. I doubt that any contractor will care if you are in school for higher learning, just can you do as you are told, and be on time and reliable.

Local trade unions can also be helpful. Google is a great tool for such a search. The BOTTOM is a great place to learn and start a CAREER.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2017, 09:04 AM
    Look at defense contractors and other larger companies in the Akron and Cleveland areas. They generally have college internships available. That's how my partner started 12 years ago and now my partner is managing electrical engineers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Engineering help [ 1 Answers ]

I have an oscilating fan that I would like to vary the fan spin rate. I am doing a color experiment for my physics class to show them that the lights are blinking at 60hz so I need to be able to vary the speed of the fan. Its an old fan that I can take apart. What do I do?

Final year electrical engineering project design proposal [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I live in South Africa. And I am doing my final year of electrical engineering project. I have to make a LED light fixture with certain requirements. I am workig on the design proposal. I need someone to review my design proposal and help me with the right approach. Thank you SJ

Final year electrical engineering project [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I live in South Africa. And I am doing my final year of electrical engineering project. I have to make a LED light fixture with certain requirements. I am workig on the design proposal. I need someone to review my design proposal and help me with the right approach. Thank you SJ

Electrical engineering [ 1 Answers ]

please let me know what capacity of generators will I use to comfortably supply power with these paramitter readings. 420 A 240V = ? 123 A 240V = ?

Electrical engineering [ 1 Answers ]

What is heating and airconditioning process? What is the different types of AC?

View more questions Search