Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pratishh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2016, 09:26 AM
    Application of Integration: Volume of a Region
    Find the volume of the solid of revolution when the region bounded by the curve y = ¼ (4 – x)2 and y = ½ (4 – x2) and the y-axis when the bounded region R rotates 2pie rad about the y-axis. I don't even have a single idea on solving it. Its my math assignment and I'm desperate for help
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 14, 2016, 02:54 PM
    I suggest you first sketch out the two curves, so you get an idea what the cross-section of the shape looks like. Your problem statement left out the range of integration - these curves don't intersect so they should have specified the range of x to use.

If you were asked to simply find the area between the two curves I assume you would know how to do that - you would have an integral of the difference between the two curves, evaluated from x = 0 to x = whatever the upper limit of x is, correct? That area is the sum of all the infinitesimal little rectangles, each of which has a height equal to the difference between the two curves and whose width is dx. Well, if you imagine the shape being rotated about the y-axis you end up with a shape whose volume is the sum of infinitesimal cylinders, each of which is centered on the y-axis and has a volume equal to its circumference of 2 pi x, times its height (which again is equal to the difference between the curves), times its width dx. Try it, and post back with your attempt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Incorrect dates on job application... can the application be corrected? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, This is a question coming from Texas. I am in the market for a new job in higher education and recently received a great offer. I will be finalizing paperwork and turning in authorization for background check next week. When I was getting my documents together for my meeting with the...

Volume in mmhg with constant volume and temp at stp [ 0 Answers ]

If the temperature starts at stp and changes to 40 degrees C and we have constant volume what would be the new pressure in mmhg?

Changing a region 1 dvd to a region free? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello does anybody know how to convert a region 1 dvd to region free dvd?

Pending appeal of your old application for benefits, can you file new application? [ 1 Answers ]

Pending appeal of your old application for benefits, can you file new application?

View more questions Search