Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c_starrs Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

Dec 9, 2016, 07:27 PM
    How much to specify when some funds are still at large
    Thanks for reading. I'm in Oregon, about to pursue a small claim. The person in question is a contractor. I gave him $6K to begin work, however it didn't work out, he walked off-site. He did however, buy material for the job, which we kept and also rented a dumpster in his name and account, which we used and gave back to waste management for him to pay.

My question is, what figure do I sue for? I don't know the exact value of the rental or material to correctly discount the $6K figure. Only the contractor knows they values and he is not going to help me sue him.

Do I claim for the $6K and mention in the claim that funds are still at large? Do I claim for the full $6K and say nothing in the complaint and let him bring it to the table? Help :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2016, 09:47 PM
    I would suppose you had a written contract, that would show material costs and labor costs.

What amounts are listed in the contract.
    If not that will be one issue in showing what the money was given for.

But you can go to the company that delivered the material and get the price.
    Or you can merely sue for the entire amount paid,

But... you may also be entitled to any additional costs that you have, If the new contractor costs more, that difference may be allowed as a breach of contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My funds were stolen [ 34 Answers ]

Hello, am wondering if I can take a legal action on a friend who stole my funds from south Africa to the US, I need help

State misplaces funds, and funds not received, any ramifications? [ 1 Answers ]

My son has yet to receive his child support payments, from his father, even though there has been an order for a wage garnishment. The employer has been sitting on it, for over 1 month, and no remedy in sight! The only source of income, is spousal support, and now since my checks are mailed...

Keep funds in or take out? [ 0 Answers ]

I paid $40,000 into a Mid Cap Growth Opportunities Class A/2449 from First American Funds -- lost $20,000 grand when economy slid -- kept it and it is now catching back up -- good thing to keeep yet, or if I could lose again, better to take out now?

Will the funds be available? [ 1 Answers ]

Will I have a problem collecting (California) SDI money? I'm thinking about having surgery that will keep me out of work for at least 12 weeks? Will I have a problem collecting (California) SD... - JustAnswer

View more questions Search