Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2016, 10:32 AM
    Vacuum sealers
    Does anyone have any experience with these? How do they work, How well do they work?

We bought a freezer last summer and with my diet, I have to control my portions. So I make smaller portions then what is sold. Currently I use Glad Press and Seal to repackage the portions or small plastic containers for liquids. But I've been considering a vacuum sealer.

If I follow how they work, you have a roll of "bags", you pull off enough and seal one end, then insert the items and vacuum seal the other end. Is that correct? Do they really protect foods longer? Reduce freezer burn?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 6, 2016, 05:28 PM
    The one I know, uses a tube of plastic (not really bags) and you make it any size you want. It will seal both sides. I used to have one, sold it when I moved to China. My only issue was getting it out, setting it up to use it and then storing it. I often still just used baggies, but then I only bought for a week or two, never long term amounts
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 6, 2016, 06:10 PM
    They actually do extend freezer life. I try to buy in bulk and freeze meal sized portions; example - Buy 10 pounds of hamburger on sale and freeze 1 or 2 pound packages. Regular freezer bags would let me keep them maybe 3 months (since ZipLock discontinued their double bags) and with the vacuum seal I can keep them for as long as eight. After six months they do tend to start a freeze drying process but even then the meat doesn't take on the "burnt" taste.

I do recommend getting extra gaskets and removing the gaskets between uses. The gaskets on mine (Food Saver) are just foam rubber and won't seal correctly if they become compressed.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 6, 2016, 06:39 PM
    We had one a long time ago, and I'm sure that they've gotten better since, but the one we had, I loved it. Sadly after 10 years of use it died, and we just haven't replaced it.

The one we had came with a long roll of "bag" that you could make into any size, just hold down the top and it seals. Loved it! It definitely prolonged freezer life, and it was also great for packing lunches, or storing crafts (loved it for sparkles, sequins, buttons, anything).

The one we had was $20, the roll replacement was around $5 (and that roll went a long way), but that was a long time ago, I'm sure the prices have gone up.

In my opinion, totally worth the cost.

Do be picky when you buy. You do get what you pay for.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 7, 2016, 02:23 AM
    One point I forgot to mention: All the bells and whistles like automatic feed and built in bag storage actually DECREASE functionality. They also make you use more of the roll per bag created. With these things the K.I.S.S. principle applies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What the difference vacuum relief valve/ vacuum breaker for water heater? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between vacuum relief valve and a vacuum breaker valve

How vacuum is maintained in a vacuum circuit breaker [ 0 Answers ]

In industries we use vacuum circuit breaker to disconnect supply in a faulty condition. But how vacuum is maintained for a long term use of circuit breaker?

Should I use sealers on these threads? [ 2 Answers ]

I had to remove radiators in my home for repairs to walls.. I need to put them back.. I want to know should I use a sealer on the threads or tape or nothing? It is a hot water system

Air conditioning sealers [ 1 Answers ]

I know sealers are made for automotive air conditioners. I also know that some work and some do not. But I would like to know if sealers are made for a home type a/c. Thanks

View more questions Search