Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dphull Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2016, 12:07 PM
    Severance Pay and Rehire
    Hi, I have few employee's who have received Voluntary Attrition Packages back in July 2016 but the company wants to rehire these employee's only after 4 months of being laid off. Is there any implications to re-hiring employee's who have received their lump sum? Is there a time of how long an employee needs to wait until they are re-hired at the same employer? What are the legal issues with rehiring someone who took a severance package? Is the company required to offer employment to everyone that took the severance package? Can we extend an offer of employment to one and not all who took the severance package and left the company?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2016, 12:46 PM
    At least in the USA where I have worked you lose ALL previous time with company and any seniority after accepting a severance package if you are ever rehired for purposes of benefits etc..you are considered a new hire. You can offer it to anyone you wish and not to anyone you wish.

Actually been in this situation, or almost the identical one...Got laid off, paid severance and got called back 6 months later, only to quit less than a week later.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2016, 02:44 PM
    You need to consult your legal counsel. You need to read the Attrition package agreement carefully as it should spell out what happens in case of a re hire. While the normal thing is to have such a rehire start fresh the matter is up to company policy not statute. So the terms of the package is what is important here.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 1, 2016, 03:46 PM
    Aside from company policy, laws vary by country and by locale within the country.
    In the US, there can be instances in which this could be considered a 'fake layoff,' which is illegal, but the details depend on several factors such as how many were let go.
    On the other hand, since they received a lump sum, I don't think you can use the term layoff (which you did). Voluntary attrition is basically an enticement to QUIT, very different.
    SO....
    I suspect that it's all OK. But that's based on what you have said, and not knowing where you are.

What is your role? You say YOU have employees, but you don't know about company policy or the law.
    Dphull Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2016, 05:31 PM
    I'm a HR generalist and I'm based in Canada. The reason I'm asking because my company doesn't have any policies in regards to the questions I asked (it's my 4th day at the job). My question was to gain some insight from other HR professionals that may have more knowledge in this area.
    current pert

Dec 1, 2016, 06:31 PM
    OK... were they laid off or not (did they file for unemployment)? How many left the company at the same time?

I'm not trying to be mean, but I suggest that you get some publications from the gov't, province and country, regarding labor laws, and study them, before you call yourself an HR professional. If your last job was as in HR in a big company, but doing one small part of HR, then you are in over your head, and the company could be sued. I don't even know what it means to be an HR generalist. A generalist in other fields means you know all of it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2016, 06:56 PM
    As I said, this should have been spelled out in the agreement, Have you read it?
    current pert

Dec 2, 2016, 03:48 AM
    I have a feeling there wasn't one. Small company. Been there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Severance pay negotiation [ 1 Answers ]

Should I write up a formal negotiation to what they offered me or should I just verbally present it in person to HR?

Severance pay [ 2 Answers ]

Pennsylvania labor law question: salaried employee. My job/position was eliminated after 40 years of service on 10 June 2013 without prior warning. I was offered a severence payment of approximately 1/3 my set salary. Are there any laws requiring a predesignated severance pay %? I was told by...

Severance Pay, ERISA [ 2 Answers ]

I am an Executive with 3 years at a firm. I was summarily terminated. No notice, no reason. No fraud, no embezzlement, not anything along those lines. I got caught up in some political matters. I am 60 years old. My contract calls for a one year salary severance package paid in bi-weekly...

Severance Pay [ 3 Answers ]

I received 3 weeks severance pay from my company that I was laid off last July. The company sent my W-2, but I didn't receive a severance form from them. Neither did the others I asked that were also laid off. So? Does that mean then I shouldn't worry about it?

Severance Pay [ 3 Answers ]

My former employer has defaulted on our signed severance agreement by having insufficient funds for my severance check to clear. In other words, my severance check bounced. I have notified the District Attorney's office and the Department of Labor. Can I file a summons and complaint and have him...

View more questions Search