Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catgirl0616 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2016, 06:37 PM
    How to get kitten to stop climbing up couch
    We recently got a new kitten and when we first got her, she had no problem hopping up onto the couch, which was no problem for us. However, she got an infection and was limping for a while, but we took her to the vet and it is completely better except one thing: she doesn't jump up onto the couch anymore. This wouldn't be a problem, but she still wants to get onto the couch, so she climbs up the arm of our couch like it is a climbing post. We don't have a problem with her being on the couch, but it is starting to scratch through the soft fabric and we DO have a problem with that. Help!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 30, 2016, 07:20 PM
    Set up a stairs for her -- boxes of differents heights to make steps. Cover the arm of the couch with a pillowcase temporarily.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Nov 30, 2016, 08:59 PM
    Set up a climbing post for her to use to get on the couch. Cover the arm of the couch in plastic (supposedly cats don't like the feel) to deter her from using it. Then buy/make a climbing post/board/ladder to set against the arm for her to climb.

I am curious about why she isn't jumping. Is she jumping on other things and running and playing like you would expect a kitten to play?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 30, 2016, 11:48 PM
    I love the idea of a climbing post next to the couch, or covered stairs next to the couch.

I do also wonder why she is no longer jumping. Is it because it hurts to jump, she can no longer jump, or is it laziness?

I would rule out any medical issues that may have resulted from her illness that may be effecting her ability to jump.

Make sure her nails are trimmed so that the puncture to the couch is less. There are also rubber tips you can buy to prevent her from scratching up your furniture. You place them on the nail yourself, and they need to be replaced around once a month as the nail grows. The only bad thing about these nail covers is that it doesn't allow a cat to do what a cat needs to do, which is scratch and claw. We have a cat, I trim his nails, and provide him with a lot of scratching surfaces. He climbs on everything, but never damages anything.

Make sure she has enough toys to scratch and claw at, a cat condo with a scratching post is a great idea, and if you're handy, easy to make. If you want a few design ideas ask and I'll post them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My kitten is very aggressive, how can I stop it? [ 8 Answers ]

So little 10 week old kitten is an absolute nightmare! I've had plenty of kittens throughout my life and none quite like this one. He's the worst little monster ever! He uses the litterbox like a champ, he's a good cat in that department. But all he does is attack! He has toys, but he'd much rather...

How do I stop my kitten from biting? [ 19 Answers ]

My 11 week old kitten is adopted and highly spirited. She is "entertained" by almost anything. However, she has begun testing her teeth on us whenever she can and though she's playing and not biting hard, it is painful. She bit a path the whole way up my arm this morning. Any suggestions? ...

Couch infestation tan eggs/holes in couch [ 2 Answers ]

I have been noticing small pinholes in my couches top rim and tiny deposits of what appear to be eggs or nits. They are tan and recurrent , even after covering tiny bore holes with tape, whatever it is seems to bore through even the tape. It's the top rail of my couch and it's freaking me out....

I can't stop the Static on my couch! [ 3 Answers ]

:mad: Ugh. I just bought a new leather and microsuede couch... I should have known better, since the couch I had previously was microsuede. The static is unbearable. I can sit on it and there is crackling and my hair stands up. I'm wondering if I use a humidifier in the living room, would it...

Puppy nips and chews non-stop when in bed or on the couch [ 19 Answers ]

I don't have a problem with having our puppy sit on our furniture. In fact, I would be happy if he would eventually sleep in our bed. The problem, though, is that every single time I put him on the couch or on the bed, he goes into a little nipping fit. It's like a power stronger than himself, and...

View more questions Search