Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coconn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2016, 12:52 PM
    Pricing Discount Question
    Was wondering if there are any theories in regards to something I am encountering.

For example, there is a 100 of a product that sells for $100, and that item is discounted until the full supply runs out. So, if on the first day, 0 people buy the item, the price goes down to $99. Conversely, if 50 people buy the item on day 1, it may increase price to $110. If this price is too high, it will drop.

What I am trying to determine is the following:
    What sales were "lost" revenue. IE- Someone bought at $99 but more than likely would have purchased at $100
    vs.
    What sales were "gained" sales: IE - Someone bought at $95, but would have considered $100 too expensive.

I'm not sure if such a theory exists, but I would assume it would have to do with the quantity sold at each price, which I obviously have the information on.

Please let me know if anyone has thoughts on this.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2016, 10:04 PM
    There is a theory about the point of indifference for example if you make a penalty of $5 and don't get the desired result where is the point of indifference beyond which you will get the desired result. The same thing here if $100 results in no sales it must be beyond the point of indifference but then you haven't dealt with the competitive products, what is their price point and where is the indifference to the difference in price and or quality. You cannot assume perfect elasticity that would allow a price rise on day 2

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help a newbie! - construction cleanup pricing question w/ specifics [ 5 Answers ]

50 rooms. 15,000 sq feet. Outside of the big city in North Carolina. Wet mopping of concrete, some tile, some carpet. 25 windows to clean. Wiping down doors and panels - 1 bathroom to clean. We are new at this and would love some guidance. We are insured and ready to work. Please advise. *****We...

Need pricing on the following [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing inventory for a fire. I need a price on a Kenmore elite series washer 110.2492300 and Kenmore elite series gas dryer 110.4992301 Thank you for your time, Brenda

Discount allowed / Discount received [ 12 Answers ]

My understanding of these two accounts are: Discount allowed is affected when the company offers a discount to a customer and it is netted against sales... thus listed in the chart of accounts as an income account. Discount received is affected when a vendor offers a discount on purchases and...

Sq. Ft. Pricing. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just want to get some idea of how much people are charging by the sqare ft. for interior painting. I just need a average price. The square footage is about 3500 with some small drywall repair and we might want to change the color so we need price for priming as well. It is all wall with 20...

View more questions Search