Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larry1949 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 02:27 PM
    MTD 146K828H000 46" Garden Tractor/Mower
    Tractor will no longer pull a grade in HI Range 3-6. Works fine on flat surfaces. I have replaced both drive belts... twice.. and the idler spring MTD 732-0384.

One person suggested that the pulleys are glazed and the belts are slipping... any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thomas Mills Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Apr 15, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Check to see if it has a friction disk for the drive. It should be coming right off the crack shaft at the bottom of the engine. Thomas
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Larry, did you notice that the idler pulley has an adjustment to it? Usually a threaded rod can be turned to tighten the tension on the belt. Do this while it is in neutral. Pullet glaze? Never heard of that happening. Tom, tell me more, not sure what a friction disk is off the crank.

Apr 16, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Attachment 3285
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Mills
    Check to see if it has a friction disk for the drive. It should be coming right off the crack shaft at the bottom of the engine. Thomas
    No friction disk just a pulley attached to the shaft coming off the crank. Looks like the tension is only from the idler( see attached diagram)

Thanks

Apr 16, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Name:  pulleys.jpg
Views: 140865
Size:  125.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Larry, did you notice that the idler pulley has an adjustment to it? Usually a threaded rod can be turned to tighten the tension on the belt. Do this while it is in neutral. Pullet glaze?? Never heard of that happening. Tom, tell me more, not sure what a friction disk is off the crank.
    No adjustment rod, just the spring that I replaced to keep the tension on the belt.
    Thanks
    shenlakerob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Did you ever find out what was wrong with your drive belt problem----- I have the same problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 MTD Garden Tractor 800 Series [ 11 Answers ]

:mad: Tractor Drive belt keeps coming off. Has been replaced several times. Brand new belt installed last week has come off already. It comes off mostly when going up a slight incline or hill (not real steep) Is there any kind of adjustment to the pulleys or is this a sign that the tractor...

MTD Garden Tiller [ 1 Answers ]

[FO MTD Garden Tiller - Model #317385-500 How do you put the two drive belts on? Is it possible to get a manual for that model?

Mtd tractor [ 2 Answers ]

After running for a while, when I stop it doesn't want to start back up?

Problem with spindle on MTD 42" mower [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bent spindle on my 600 series Yard Machine. It is not hard to get to but I have never taken one apart before. Can I just swap the spindle out for a new one and just re-pack the bearings? I believe the housing is OK, just the spindle is bent. What do I need to look for to make this...

MTD Garden Tiller [ 1 Answers ]

2005 MTD, 7 hp, garden tiller will not shift out of forward gear. Why?

View more questions Search