Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heidee91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2016, 06:41 PM
    Root cellar
    I'm wanting to build a 12'x12' root cellar out of foundation grade treated lumber. The walls are 2x8 construction 16" o.c. sheathed in .75" plywood.

Im planning on covering the top with 24 inches of silty clay loam soil. I estimated a dead load at 34,000 lbs or 222psf. There won't be a live load. Can anyone help me size my ceiling joists?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2016, 01:49 PM
    That is a tremendous dead load. Add water from rain or snow and it is even higher. Why so much dirt? I would consider thick expanded foamed Poly styrene billets with just a couple of inches of dirt. I cannot find a dead load over 100 PSF for comparisons.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 23, 2016, 05:31 AM
    I don't think a root cellar has to be this complicated. Mine is located in the basement under the veranda. It works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I have had a root canal, is the root and nerve in that tooth dead. [ 5 Answers ]

I had a root canal two years ago. I recently stated having problems in that tooth. The dentist says that I need to have part of the root clipped or removed. Shouldn't that already been done?

How to lay horizontal rebar in a cinder block root cellar. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to build an 8'x8' root cellar with cinder block. I will place 1/2" rebar vertically every other hole (one per block). Can I lay 3/8" rebar horizontally between courses of cinder block, since I want a 3/8" morter joint anyway?

First part of the root canal to kill the root... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I just need a bit of advice. Today I had the first part of my root canal done today, it was supposed to be the whole thing but the root of the tooth was badly infected therefore the anesthetic did not numb the nerve (as its PH sensitive and the infection was quite acidic),so it only went...

Integration of square root of tanx minus square root of cotx [ 1 Answers ]

integration of square root of tan x minus square root of cot x

New Toilet in a cellar [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm about to get our cellar "tanked" but before I do I wanted to put in place the drain needed to deal with the waste from a new toilet that would be incorporated into the cellar after the tanking work. There is a utility room at the moment with a sink and washing machine. This discharges to a...

View more questions Search