Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scientistinusa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2016, 02:49 PM
    Dual status alien alien couple choose to file as resident aliens?
    Hi,

My husband and I came to the US in March 2016 (we both have H1B visas). We are planning to stay for at least 2 more years. As I understand, we will be dual status aliens for 2016.
    Can we both elect to file married filing jointly as resident aliens? The only info I found was for a resident alien to treat a non-resident alien spouse as resident and file jointly. I couldn't find anything, when both spouses were resident aliens at the end of the year. Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 22, 2016, 08:19 AM
    Yes, you can file jointly, but filing separate dual-status tax returns MAY be the better option.

If you use my tax service, I will model your return BOTH ways to determine which is the best option.

If you wish to use my tax service, please email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual status alien or non resident alien for tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I started working for my employer in September 2010 on OPT. I got my H1B approved in March of 2011. Since then I am on H1B Visa. I had a question regarding filing my taxes for 2011. According to the SPT requirement, I think I am a resident alien but then I think I am also into dual status as...

Dual-status alien choosing to be treated as resident alien [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I hope I can get some advice here. I am married, and both me and my wife live in US. I used to be J-1 student, and she used to be J-2 dependent. On January 14, 2010 my status in US was changed from J-1 to H-1B, and her's was changed from J-2 to H-4. I understand we are both now resident...

Dual-status alien or alien resident income tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am getting ready to prepare our 2009 tax returns and am not sure what to do. I am a US citizen. My husband is a permanent resident. He arrived in the US from Italy in February 2009 on a K-1 visa. We married in March and he got his green card in July 2009. My husband worked in Italy...

Dual status alien or resident alien for tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I come from Poland, in September, 15 th. 2006 I came to the USA on J1 visa (scholar), and I have been on it ever since. Can I fill tax refund for 2008 as a resident alien (1040) or I am rather considered as dual status alien? Can I fill the taxes jointly with my wife she came with me and...

Me-->Resident alien; My wife-->Dual status, Can I file 1040 [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All; I have a question. As I am here in the US more than 5 years under F-1 visa, I am considered resident for tax purposes. However my wife is dual status alien(Thanks to Atlanta Tax expert for the sticky, she passes all 3 requirements) Can I file regular resident return married filing...

View more questions Search