Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wingsfan96 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2016, 11:01 AM
    Heating
    I recently moved into a house that belonged to my sister and her family. After doing some checking around, I noticed she didn't have a filter in the AC unit. Apparently it has been running for months with no filter. Fantastic! Now that it's cold weather, am I at danger if I turn the heat on? It's not a gas furnace but even with all of the dust and even her dogs hair, can it catch fire? Suggestions? I don't want to put my family in danger.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 20, 2016, 12:56 PM
    Investing in cleaning and inspecting your duct work, and heating/air conditioning units as you replace that missing filter should serve you well.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2016, 01:14 PM
    If it is a heat pump, very little possibility of fire. If it is a resistance, all electric, much greater. Have the system inspected and cleaned if necessary.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2016, 10:10 PM
    The filter accomplishes two things: It keeps the dust level down in the home and it keeps the dust off the furnace components. Since you have a heat pump it will allow dust and apparently hair to accumulate on the coil. This will lower the efficiency. Most likely not a fire hazard. Have the coil cleaned or do it yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating and cooling unit blowing air but not heating- goodman [ 1 Answers ]

It is a gas pack. Blowing air but not heating. Could it have a pilot light out?

300 m not heating when in park starts heating when I go down the road [ 1 Answers ]

Actual engine warms up however all the air from the ducts cold. As soon as I move in reverse or drive it heats up quickly is there a sensor possibly not working or maybe a thermostat starting to fail?

Carrier heating unit --fan won't work with heating [ 6 Answers ]

I have a carrier heating unit installed in 2000... it worked fine since then but now... fan will work if we turn it ON by itself... but if we turn on auto heat then heater goes on (blower like sound) but fan doesn't force the air into the house... if we turn off the heat... fan comes on...

View more questions Search