Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmmw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2016, 05:43 PM
    Step father inappropriately touched adult daughter
    I'm 34 years old. My mom and step father have been together for 20 years, and I've never had an issue with him. In fact, we've always had a great relationship and I've considered him my real dad. Just recently he has made a few inappropriate (yet not direct) sexual comments about the clothes I wore. On another occasion, he stroked my breast, which I thought was an accident at the time. Just a few days ago, he came to my house (we live a few houses away from them), and when he gave me a hug from behind, he kissed my neck and was fondling my breast. I basically froze, because that's the last thing I'd ever expected. What do I do now? Should I tell my mom? I don't want her to be with someone who'd do that to her. I live so close to them, and now I feel so uncomfortable living here. Im nervous about what will happen if I do say something, and if I don't say something. So confused! I've really always seen him as a real father to me.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 17, 2016, 05:59 PM
    I'd have already screamed and yelled at him and told my mom. Period. End of story. Saying nothing implies that this is appropriate behavior, and it is NOT! Get over to their house and tell mom everything. It's not going to be easy, but you must do this. Please let us know how it goes.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2016, 06:09 PM
    I agree with teacherjenn. And as an added note, if he has never made any inappropriate moves toward you in the past, this just might be a sign of a developing physical or more likely mental/emotional/aging problem.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2016, 06:34 PM
    I agree with Teacherjenn.

What did you do the many times he's been inappropriate with you recently? Did you say something to him or did you just accept it and let it happen?

Time to speak up. You're not a child, you and he are both adults. What would you do if some guy in a bar touched your breast or kissed your neck? You'd likely go nuts on him, right? So why was the step father allowed to get away with this behavior?

I would expect a child or young teen to be confused about this, but not a 34 year old woman. You don't have to accept this behavior, so do something about it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 18, 2016, 07:26 AM
    You are 34 years old, and quite capable of setting boundaries of good behavior between you and your father in law (OR ANYONE ELSE for that matter). DO SO, and don't be intimidated or confused. Bringing in mom should be a last resort in my view, given you have not disclosed if you have tried to handle your own business yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my adult step daughter hypenate my name with hers? [ 2 Answers ]

My step daughter is 23 years old and has asked if she can legally hyphenate her last name to include mine. (I am married to her mother). Her biological father has not been in her life for several years, but she does carry his last name. She has no plans of getting married and if she does, she...

Problems with adult step daughter. [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a married stepdaughter who will call him for everything. She is totally helpless even though she is married to a man who makes a lot of money. He took a picture of her while she was sleeping during one of his "visits", is this weird or am I being a jealous girlfriend?

My 6 year old daughter has been inappropriately touched by my 8 year old Niece [ 17 Answers ]

I don't know how to feel about this, so I am asking for help. About 3 months ago, my husband caught my then 7 year old niece touching my daughters private parts. My sister and I talked to both girls and explained that this was inappropriate touching and we thought it was settled. This last weekend,...

Child touched inappropriately [ 3 Answers ]

My 3 year old has always been taught when someone touches her private areas that she needs to tell me or her father. Well my worst fear happened. My daughter came to me yesterday saying that her 7 yr old cousin pulled her pants down and touched her butt. My daughter immediately came and told me and...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

View more questions Search