Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nyc2911 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2016, 04:02 AM
    How can I change my son's last name to mine?
    I would like to seek legal advice on how can I change my son's last name to mine. I got pregnant 6 yrs ago but my then partner are not married and have since long broken up. Nonetheless, he signed the affidavit of acknowledgement of paternity, thus, my son has used the surname of his father ever since.

I would like my son to use my surname instead. What legal steps should I make & how long is the procedure?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 17, 2016, 04:32 AM
    It depends on the state you are in. If NY, you go to the courthouse and apply (or start the process online), but without the father's signature of approval, you have to go before a judge to explain and hope it's granted.

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/...mechange.shtml
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2016, 02:35 PM
    The father will need to be contacted and his agreement may be needed. It depends on the local courts. I would advise consulting a local Family Law attorney who will know the courts and the process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing my son's last name to mine. [ 6 Answers ]

My fiancé had two children by another guy when I met her. She ended up getting pregnant with me. While she was pregnant, she went back to him. So he and she decided it would easier for the kids if they all had the same last name, and so gave my child HIS last name. Now he didn't sign the birth...

Will she change her mine [ 5 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend hasn't even tried to contact me for 2 weeks but I have been testing her and went over to the house and slapped her. She told her friends and they were telling me to go away. I wasn't invited when I went and it was 2 o'clock in morning. I had a key. She says she is mad but maybe...

How can I change my son's last name to mine? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I change my son's last name to mine, I'm the father, I pay child support and I spend time with my kids

Can I make my son's mother change his last name to mine? [ 1 Answers ]

As of right now I'm not on the birth certificate but after petitioning for paternity and custody/visitation rights would I be able to force a last name change since my son's mother didn't use my last name on his birth certificate? What are my rights in New York State?

How do I change my son's last name to mine [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change my son's last name to mine

View more questions Search