Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john faber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2016, 02:50 PM
    How do I flush my water heater
    My water heater makes a rumbling sound when the hot water is being used.I was advised it needs to be flush
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 16, 2016, 03:06 PM
    Advised by whom? Was it the water heater or the water LINES?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2016, 04:55 AM
    This was posted by a long time plumber on this site. Good luck

If you do not flush,(not drain) your heater on a regular basis it will build up mineral on the bottom of the tank. When the flame comes on it turns the water trapped under the mineral to steam and the steam escaping is what you hear. Let me show you how to flush your heater. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) and some white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). The whole thing shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. You might want to consider cleaning the screens on your aerators if you have a high mineral buildup. If the problem still persists after you have flushed, you will have to drain the heater, remove the boiler drain and go up in the bottom of the tank with a wood or plastic rod, (not metal) and try to break up the mineral and flush it out. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to flush a water heater [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to flush an elec. Water heater?

Is it asking for trouble to flush a 20-yr-old water heater [ 5 Answers ]

That has never been flushed before? You know how when you flush out the fluid in an automatic transmission with over 100K miles that has never been flushed, often the next thing you have to do is replace the "tranny" because some of the sludge was actually holding things together. I know that...

Drain or Flush Hot Water Heater [ 3 Answers ]

So I read a bunch of posts and am just a little confused. I'm getting this white plastic-like material in my faucets and shower head that keeps blocking them up. I think it is my dip tube but am not sure? I just bought this unit so I have no idea when it was drained last. Will flushing help...

Low water pressure kitchen sink after water heater flush [ 4 Answers ]

I flushed my water heater today. When I was done, the water pressure at all the sinks, tub, washer, dishwasher, etc worked just fine, except for the kitchen sink. I took out the aerator and confirmed there was nothing there. Ran the water without the aerator in and water pressure is still about...

Best procedure to flush a water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I am sure Speedball1 and a few others will help me with this post. I want to double check on the best procedure to follow when flushing a hot water heater. I have been shutting down the main opening a hot water faucet and then the drain at the bottom of the tank. When the tank is about empty and...

View more questions Search