Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shifftali Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2016, 12:32 PM
    How can I become a certified Electrician?
    Hi I've heard that its possible to become a certified electrician in as little as 6 months. This is something Im interested in doing on the side (both as a hobby and perhaps to make some money if possible) There is a lot of info online about this, but I was wondering if someone has experience in this area. Additionally, I'd like to know if there is a way to take a course/class on line.

Thanks for your help !
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2016, 01:29 PM
    You will not become a certified electrician in 6 months, particularly on-line. Certified doesn't mean much, you can be a "certified" minister by just filling out the paperwork. In most states you need to become an apprentice and then go from there. Here is a link to look at, state based.
    State Code and Licensing Requirements
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2016, 02:32 PM
    Electricians are generally union members. This means you have to go through a period as an apprentice after first being accepted into a union.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2016, 04:04 PM
    In the Atlanta area, most commercial electricians are union. However, few residential and private electricians are union. GA is a right to work state.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2016, 04:43 PM
    6 months isn't enough to even begin to learn the basics. Much less any of the National electrical code.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2016, 05:51 PM
    Contact your local office of the IBEW, which stands for International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. It is the electrician's union. Ask how to become an apprentice. The apprentice program takes about four years and you work under experienced union electricians who teach you the trade. It would be silly to try to learn a hands-on trade online. You need to actually do the work and be at job sites, not only learning your trade but also how to work with other trades and general contractors and hoe to so repairs and the like. You would be called into situations for installations and repairs where things were done wrong in the past, and where there are complicating circumstances. But it is a well paying career and worth pursuing. Also, some meaningless online certificate will not get you work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2016, 06:12 PM
    First you must be licensed, not "certified" If you already have a license, then you can do work legally for other people.

I will disagree, mot are not union, but those that are make much higher wages, but you will have to work many years to become a master. Most work 10 years or so from starting to reading a master status with the union.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 14, 2016, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Electricians are generally union members. This means you have to go through a period as an apprentice after first being accepted into a union.
    Nope, not at all. Some are, but definitely not all or even most.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    First you must be licensed, not "certified" If you already have a license, then you can do work legally for other people.
    Only in some places. Many states/areas do not have licensing for workers, and some, like NY and PA, have no statewide license at all.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2016, 08:22 AM
    I believe some of My competetors, did a 6 Month course? Possible with no tools, and without ever leaving an Air Condition Room. I worked as a helper/apprentice, after 3 years, I could go for my Journeymans, another 3, then able to go for Master Electrician. That is just for a Registered, More Paperwork, and Money, then you may be Certified.
    You can't just start at the Top. Need to be able to bend conduit, metal/PVC, whatever, Pull correct wiring, make correct and safe connections, Electricity KILLS.
    You should understand Pumps, Motors(protecting and controlling them). If you work under a Good Electrician, He can make your life much easier. One who is afraid you may take their job, may be of no help at all. Learn all you can, when you can.
    Then you have TV, Phone, Innercomm, Network wiring. The list goes on and on. The more you know, the more you know you don't know. Helps if you enjoy it, or make money. Should be Curious by nature.
    Mike Holt has a couple of books, I think called, I forget the Name, something like Practice Exam for Journeyman Electricians, and Practice Exam for Master Electrician, will not give answers to real test, but shows how to determine Wire size, wire fill, Voltage drop on conductors for a particular length, phase, and load. Would at least get the Journeyman to start, both if you have the funds, and a good Calculator.
    Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The reset and test buttons do not work. What else can I do? [ 3 Answers ]

I cannot get the two bathroom plugins to work. The reset and test buttons do not work. What else can I do?

Electrician [ 1 Answers ]

Can 3/4 pvc be used for 110v power above ground in queens feeding a garage for a 2 family home it would be surface mounted on a cocrete wall 3feet or more above ground level

Not sure if I need an electrician or plumber? [ 4 Answers ]

I came down stairs and noticed water on my dining table. I looked up and saw water dripping from my ceiling lamp. The ceiling is dry... not sure what to do? I guess it could be a pipe... should I call an electrician? Shutt off water? Electricity?

Tell me I need an electrician... [ 1 Answers ]

Hey gang, Removed old flushmount in kitchen ceiling that had 3 incandescent bulbs. Two wires coming down from attic--knob and tube for this particular fixture, I think. No box in the ceiling. Old fixture was connected to a metal hanger connected with wood filler strips. Wires just come through a...

Event Electrician looking for more [ 5 Answers ]

Hello pro electricians, I am an Event Electrician who works in the NY and Las Vegas areas for special events, concerts, festivals, etc etc. I am not associated with any union, and I freelance for work. I did attend college for Theatrical Lighting Design, and act very often as a Master...

View more questions Search