Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sb47684 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2016, 03:59 PM
    Can I fill w-9 form while on H1B?
    Hi,

I was on F1 OPT till October 2016 and my H-1B got activated starting this October. My current employer granted restricted stock units (RSUs) but to accept the grant, fidelity (stock holder) is asking for W-9. But my question is, me being non-resident alien (if believe so, am I not?) can I fill w-9? I think w-9 should be filled only by US citizens or resident aliens only, right? Should I submit a w-9 substitute form?

Hoping an early response.

Thanks
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Nov 13, 2016, 06:42 PM
    Yes, you can only fill out W-9 if you are a resident alien. If you are a nonresident alien, you would fill out W-8BEN. The question is whether you are a resident alien or not. This is somewhat complicated as it may depend on the choices you make in the rest of the year.

You were on F-1 for most of this year. If you were in the first 5 calendar years of F-1 (i.e. you came to the US in F-1 in 2012 or later, and you hadn't been in the US before that), your time on F-1 this year would be exempt from the Substantial Presence Test, and your remaining days on H-1b this year would be insufficient to satisfy the Substantial Presence Test, and so you would be a nonresident alien for all of this year. If you came to the US in F-1 in 2011 or earlier, you would be a resident alien for all of this year. Note that even in the earlier case where you're a nonresident alien, you can make a choice called First Year Choice that will make you a resident for the part of the year you're on H-1b. So the answer is that it depends.
    sb47684 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2016, 09:49 PM
    Thank you for the answer.

I came to US for the first time on August 2014. So, I think I am still non-resident alien. If I am correct, I shouldn't fill W-9 form. As fidelity (stock holder) demands what are repercussions if I fill W-9 being non-resident alien?

And do you recommend making first year choice? To make myself resident alien? What are the benefits? I see only con in-terms of more tax compared to being non-resident alien. Please help me understand.

Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT + H1B (MARRIED) which form to fill [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I was on OPT for 9months and 3 months on H1B, and I am married. I had applied for W7 for my wife last year... which forms should I fill? 1040NR or 1040? Please help...

Wife on OPT+H1b and Husband on h1b.what form to file! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All I am on h1b since 2 yrs while my wife.. she was on opt till sept 30-2008.. and on h1b since oct-08 We need to file joint return as we need to claim her student loan interest deduction.. Also she has 2 W2 one from her college job while other from her present employer. Can somebody...

9 months on OPT, 3 months H1B.what form to fill [ 1 Answers ]

Good Evening, I was on H1B since Oct 2007, through Oct 2008. From Oct 2008 however I am on H1B status. Now Could anyone please enlighten me as to which form should I use to file my taxes. I am confused. A response would be very very helpful. Thank you for your generosity...

How to fill tax return form for married+1 H1b holder with wife and son having no SSN [ 5 Answers ]

Here is my situation: I am a posdoc has been working in MA for almost 10 month (moved from Europe). I am here on H1b visa with my wife and 14-year old son. They both on H4, so there are no SSNs (they can't work in the USA) and there is no any additional income for our family. Practically, I have...

Received my W2c. Which form to fill - form 843 or 1040x? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was deducted social security and medicare taxes by my employer in the year 2006. Now, since I was under student Visa (F1) at the time of employment, I was not supposed to have been taxed the SS and medicare taxes. I have already informed my company, and they have sent me the corrected W2...

View more questions Search