Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kepochka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2016, 03:44 PM
    Should I buy the health insurance if I applied for political asylum and I don't have
    Should I buy any health insurance if I applied for political asylum and I don't have any SSN or work authorization yet? I worked remotely as freelancer ($10/hour) and I want to apply the tax declaration in April 2017. I came to the USA in February 2016. Everything that I see on website right now is the insurance for 2017 financial year. I don't know what to do. To buy it? Because when I will apply tax declaration I will show that I didn't have any insurance.And in that case there will be fine ($700) for uncovering. What can you advice me to do? Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 12, 2016, 04:17 PM
    Get the SSN and work permit first. Have you been granted asylum?
    There are dispensations for getting insurance late if you are a special case, and this is one.
    Ellochka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2016, 08:21 AM
    Thanks for answer. I hasn't been granted yet. I am waiting. It takes a long time to get my interview. And I don't know what to do. Because I will get SSN and work permit only in 150 days. It is approximately 5 months. Is it too late, right?
    current pert

Nov 13, 2016, 01:49 PM
    No. They should allow you to get it late. Try not to worry. Expect that not every clerk will know what the process is, however, so it helps if you do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2016, 02:03 PM
    First there are lots of places to buy insurance other than "ObamaCare" web sites. And of course you need health insurance. If you get sick and go to the hospital, who is going to pay all of the doctor bills.
    current pert

Nov 13, 2016, 03:28 PM
    Fr_Chuck, do you have any idea what out-of-marketplace plans cost???? Not only super expensive --- they are dropping like flies.

You might pay 900/mo for a plan with a $6,000 annual deductible.

DON'T GET SICK OR INJURED
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2016, 03:40 PM
    No, you can get short term for about 150 a month, yes high deductible, but if they are here on a legal immigration status, they are suppose to have insurance, And they should be responsible to insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got married,shortly before I was granted Political Asylum last year,2012, I applied [ 0 Answers ]

I got married,shortly before I was granted Political Asylum last year,2012, I applied for the relative petition for my husband ,the case is still pending... if I apply for the green card for myself and I my status changes from political asylee to permanent resident,what will happen to this asylum...

Asking for political asylum in US [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I want to ask from the very beginning to understand my situation, because my question is very sensitive. I`m going to ask for a political asylum in States. I have a really hard situation and can`t come back to my country. Now I`m on my F1 visa. I had to do this, because it was the easiest...

Can I (on H1B) marry someone who has applied for Asylum in the US? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an Indian Citizen. I have two Civil Engineering degrees from the US. I am currently on my H1B. My company will be applying for my Green Card early next year. My girlfriend is a Russian citizen. We have been seeing each other for several months now. She came to the US as an exchange student. She...

Obama forces Americans to buy health insurance [ 4 Answers ]

This is unconstitutional that this health care bill requires everyone to buy health insurance. What I don't understand is why can't there be an option for those who don't want to buy insurance to sign a waiver saying that they will not receive any medical care even if it's a life & death situation?...

View more questions Search