Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 12, 2016, 03:30 PM
    Draining pipes for the winter
    This will be the third year that I will drain more than half my house of water supply. I know how; my question is timing. Each year I take a little more risk, because I have to give up use of my washer, and now is not the time to move it. It's in the part of the house I heat, but the water winds around in a crawl space under an addition that I close off. The addition contains 2 full bathrooms and a sink in a tiny kitchenette, one bath and the k-nette on the 2nd floor.
    The addition is easy to close off, because the adjoining walls are insulated, and all I have to do is put a 2" foam panel across the hallway.

The plumbing, all copper, goes 25' from the shut offs along the full cellar, and disappears into the crawl space under the addition. (I won't/can't go in the crawl space to add a valve just for the washer!)
    No fixture in either bathroom or the kitchen sink is in an outside wall (keeping in mind that there is only a tiny amount of heat, if any, leaking into the addition).

So can any pro tell me how cold the outside temperature has to be (and for how long) before anything freezes, approximately?
    The ground still has summer heat. I suppose even the building has some. And the days run in the 40s, 50s, and even 60s. Last night it was 27. I got by.

I won't hold anyone to whatever you say! THANKS

Check out some similar questions!

Townhouse Hot upstairs during the summer and pipes break in the winter [ 0 Answers ]

I have a friend that knows about ac repair but I think other stuff is beyond him so I'm asking here. My townhouse is really hot upstairs but freezing downstairs during the summer. There is good Ir blowing out of vents upstairs but only the bathrooms are cold. We open the door to these but it...

Draining a house for the winter [ 1 Answers ]

I want to close my house for the winter. I have turned off the power to the well, drained the hot water heater, empied all of the toilets and their tanks, opened all of the water taps,put anti-freeze down all drains. Question is, I have a dishwasher,washing machine,and a jacuzzi bathtub. Is there a...

Pipes freeze in winter time [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of pipes in my bathroom that are subject to freezing in the wintertime due to a home addition which allows air to access space in the walls. We tried adding insulation to the outside wall where the air comes in but it is not enough. The pipes are accessible through a drop panel and...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.