Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2016, 02:18 PM
    Identity Theft Protection
    When you get a freeze on your credit report, I read that you can use a pin or password to lift the freeze temporarily.

Can someone tell me how that works.

I also wondering on the occasional time that you are opening an account, can you use that pin or password and unfreeze it like about 5 minutes before you apply to open an account?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2016, 07:19 PM
    You need to contact each of the credit bureaus about that. They each have their own procedure. But I believe the general way it works, is, if you have a freeze and anyone requests information that you are then contacted to approve the request. You then have to provide identification to allow the info to be released.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Identity theft [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a situation. I am a victim of identity theft and somebody was working with my social security number. I just found out that this guy stop working in 2009 with my social, and he also has $3000 in a IRA account with Fidelity investment. There has been no action in the account in the last...

Identity theft protection [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if the website at "www.trustedid.com" is a good place to use for your identity theft protection coverage? Has anyone else used them and if so are they happy with the coverage they give? Do they give good customer service when you need it?

Identity theft [ 3 Answers ]

What happens when someone steals your social security number to work in the US legally? The reason I'm asking is because someone did that to me a couple of years ago. I had gone to apply for unemployment due to a job lay off and while I was giving them my personal information, that's when I found...

Identity theft protection act. [ 2 Answers ]

The Identity Theft Protection Act of ____ requires businesses to secure sensitive data physically and technologically and to notify consumers nationwide when such data is compromised. a.2003 b.2004 c.2005 d.2006 I have already tried Google searching and could not find the answer.

Identity Theft [ 6 Answers ]

I have recently been working with PickWinnersOnline.org. I am very concerned because I have "won" the lottery and now they are asking for banking information to wire transfer the funds into my bank account. All the documentation which they have sent seems OK, however, identitly theft and scams...

View more questions Search