Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Nov 11, 2016, 08:13 PM
    Work done in rotating a current carrying loop through a magnetic field
    No real problem with calcukation but I am thinking that If the rotation is 460 degrees, then the work done is equal to the work done in rotating it 460 minus 360 equals 100 degrees. Right?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 12, 2016, 09:42 AM
    This would imply that you could continue to rotate the loop in the magnetic field with no extra work required above the level required to turn it the first 360 degrees. If the loop is driving a current through a resistance, then this would mean free energy. What do you think?

Nov 12, 2016, 10:22 AM
    Well, I thought from work done in normal sense. Work done is the dot product of force and displacement. So of I move a fridge 3m above the ground, the work done will be 3*weight. If I let it down by 1m, the work done will be -1w. So the net work done is 2w. Which equals force times displacement.
    Now in this case the work done in first half cycle in equal to negative work done by second half. So the net work is equal to... zero.. (in one complete rotation)
    *fingers crossed
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 14, 2016, 06:44 AM
    I see your point. Without knowing what the circuit is that the generator is connected to it's impossible to say whether work is performed as the coil rotates or not. A noted if there is a resistive load, which resists current flow in both directions, then the loop performs work regardless of which way the current flows. The analogy would be pushing a rock across a floor against friction - it doesn't matter which way you push the rock work is always being done on the rock. But it's not a resistive load, but instead the coil is connected to a battery such that it acts as a generator to charge the battery for half its cycle and becomes a motor driven by the battery for the second half of its cycle, then I would agree with you.

Nov 14, 2016, 07:51 AM
    Aaaaah! I see. :) Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is the potential of a current carrying loop zero at this position? [ 1 Answers ]

Yes. I think of it analogous to a spring. It should like someone holding a stretched spring . If I hold the loop with my hands (not allowing it to move), it is like a stretched spring and must have extra stored energy in it. So that energy must be its potential energy. And when I leave it, it...

The relationship between the magnetic field and the solar field [ 2 Answers ]

What is the relationship between the magnetic field and the area surrounding solar planets? Does the sun is a large magnet, or what that attracts the sun and planets constantly driven? Are the lines that control the path of the planets have a magnetic domain relationship? I'm sorry to frequent...

Finding magnetic field due to a current carrying conductor [ 0 Answers ]

An infinitely long current carrying conductor is in the shape of the parabola y^2=4x.What is the magnetic field at the point (1,0) if the current flowing is I?

How much current to cancel earth's magnetic field? [ 1 Answers ]

It can be shown the magnetic field in a long narrow tube is uniform and given by B(Tesla =1.26E-6 N I(amp)? where N is number of wire loops/meter. Assuming the solenoid is aligned along the Earth's magnetic field,how much current is needed to cancel the Earth's field? earth's magnetic field is...

Magnetic field in the solenoid? [ 0 Answers ]

A long solenoid (n = 1200turns/m, radius = 2.0 cm) has a current of a 0.30 A in its winding.A long wire carrying a current of 20 A is parallel to and 1.0 cmfrom the axis of the solenoid. What is the magnitude of theresulting magnetic field at a point on the axis of thesolenoid?

View more questions Search