Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ap Zylstra Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2016, 10:30 AM
    How do I increase battery life on macOS Sierra?
    After I downloaded Siri and Sierra, my battery lasts me less than one fifth of the time it used to. Does this have to do with the age of my MacBook Pro CPU or the age of my battery?
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Nov 13, 2016, 08:53 AM
    Hi, Dad. :) If the shortened life began abruptly after installing the new OS it probably is not due to your battery or hard drive.

If your laptop is less than 4 years old it should be able to handle the new OS. However, if it is older than that it may have difficulty with some of the newer associated software.

As John says at https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=0&tstart=0:
    Back up your Mac if you have not done so already. To learn how to do that please read https://www.apple.com/support/backup/. To learn how to use Time Machine read Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac.

Then, shut down your Mac and restart it in "Safe Mode". To learn how to do that please read: Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up. Compare how your Mac works in Safe Mode to how it has been.

Then, restart normally. If the same problem returns, please read the section If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode for Apple's recommended actions.
    You can determine which processes are using most of your CPU's energy by viewing the Activity Monitor (Mac's equivalent of Window's Task Manager). This program can be opened via the /Applications/Utilities/ folder. You can find more information about this here, The Mac Task Manager | OSXDaily.

Some of these processes, like IDSKeychainSyncingProxy, may be using enough CPU to make a difference, and you can try stopping them (as also shown on the page linked above), although some of these processes may be needed for some features, like email, to work.

Let me know what you find.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Battery life [ 1 Answers ]

Does a fully charged dry cell battery weigh the same as a discharged one.

Battery Life [ 0 Answers ]

I have had the NOMA 52-2570-6 thermostat for 3 years. The original batteries lasted two years and since I started putting in replacement batteries I can only get a maximum 30 day or so period out of them before they need replacement. Good quality batteries are used as replacements but they just...

Laptop battery life [ 8 Answers ]

I just reasently got a laptop. My battery life is so short,like an hou, How can I maximize my battery life. Sumone told me that I should cgarge it or a long time, like 24hrs and that shoul boost its life span

About battery life of a laptop [ 3 Answers ]

Hi @ all, I just got a brand new model: Asus N61VG-JX006V And what I want to ask is: I heard from someone that its better to remove the charger when battery is full while working on a laptop because it increases the battery life. Is it really true that I should charge the battery until...

Battery Life [ 4 Answers ]

Im using a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1818. It takes about an hour and a half to charge fully and the battery life will last about 20 minutes. Is there anything I can do to make it last longer?

View more questions Search