Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Nov 8, 2016, 06:36 PM
    Total resistance of a complex circuit
    The teacher here redrew the first image as the second one. That's fine. But he went on to explain why the wire marked and crossed can be omitted. I did not quite get this part. This wire is connected at 3 junctions. Let us assume them P Q and R. He says that the current in top and bottom half of the junctions are equal. But who cares? If the current in junction P = Q = R, then there should be no current flow between P Q and R right? But how can we be sure about this?
    Attached Images

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2016, 08:01 PM
    I see A, B, ( what appears to be in lower case cursive) and R upper case printed. Where are P& Q at?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 9, 2016, 07:08 AM
    The reason why you can ignore any current flow through the lines that are crossed out is that by symmetry we know there is no current flow through that connection. See the attached sketch, which is for the connection into the central node. I've labeled each of the 6 leads to that central node A through F, and haven't bothered showing the resistors. From the symmetry of the circuit we know that whatever amount of current flows in from A must equal the amount that flows out through B, and whatever amount flows in through C must flow out through D, and whatever amount flows in from E also flows out through F. Therefore we can ignore the interconnections connections between A-B and C-D and E-F.

Name:  schematic.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  13.1 KB
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Nov 9, 2016, 07:52 AM
    Oooooo! Got it.
    And smoothy, I considered the junctions p, q, and r respectively. They are not in the picture. I considered them for the sake of discussion.
    It is solved now. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is equivalent resistance in the following circuit and how? [ 1 Answers ]

http://i.stack.imgur.com/eIggZ.png every resistance is of 1 ohm

math determine an expression for the total resistance if r1=2r2=6r3 [ 1 Answers ]

1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3 where each is resistance in ohms 1) determine an expression for the total resistance Rt 2)determine an expression for the total resistance if R1=R2=R3 3)Determine an expression for the total resistance if R1=2R2=6R3

Nuetral to ground resistance 120volt 20 amp electric circuit? [ 2 Answers ]

What is normal nuetral to ground resistance on a duplex receptacle, 120 volt 20 amp circuit in an office setting?

View more questions Search