Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RisenRealm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2016, 12:39 PM
    Purchasing upgraded computer power sourse, not sure what I'm looking for?!
    I'm not sure if anyone can help but I'mma ask here anyway. So I'm upgrading my computer. I don't really know much about computers but my boyfriends a real tech wizard for the most part he's sorted everything out for me except the power supply. I need a new one and he doesn't really know much about them... I've taken a look at it, took pictures, and gathered that its 60W as for every other detail I don't really know since I don't understand half the stuff the label is telling me... If someone here is able to help me at all with reading the label or understanding what any of these things on it mean that'd be great <3
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2016, 02:04 PM
    Lets be honest he's not much of a tech wizard if he can't figure this out.

You need to post a picture of the PS, Would help if you posted some details of what you have as its NOT a desktop, and except for the tiniest machines all have way more than 60w supplies.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 11, 2017, 12:04 AM
    Power supply labels are pretty straightforward. They list the total continuous wattage (W) for which the supply is rated and also the wattage and/or amperage (A) of individual power rails, typically 12 Volts (V), 5 V, and 3.3 V for ATX12V form factor desktop supplies common for the last two decades. Laptops, small form factor computers, or server type computers have other form factor supplies.

When replacing a supply, use a replacement supply with a total wattage value equal to or greater than the replaced supply. Typical total wattage values for ordinary desktop computer ATX12V power supplies are around 200W and up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to look for when purchasing a power generator [ 7 Answers ]

I'm building a emergency home kit and will be purchasing a portable generator for this kit. I'm looking at a 2.4 hp 1000 watt max/960 rated generator, I'm not sure if a 120v, 8 amp ac receptacle can run anything larger than a handtool. Is there some kind of listing of what can be operated and how...

Purchasing computer parts from Japan or china? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking to buy new and used computer parts from both Japan and China, or possibly other Asian countries. I would like to find a contact to start this process. Please if you can help please respond! [email protected] Thanks!!

Purchasing new computer [ 2 Answers ]

Presently I have Hp Pavilion that only has expansion mg memory of 256. It is almost 8 or 9 years old, or older. It is time to get a new one. I use the computer mostly for pics, music, internet. What would be the best computer to get. Now I tend to think Hp because I have not had any...

Purchasing a new computer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old computer that continues to work okay but have the opportunity to purchase a new one. Is this a good idea? I have been given a lot of software that I am not able to use on my computer as the OS is so old. My current computer is a HP Pavilion with Windows 98 SE, a 500 mh...

View more questions Search