Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Audrey2077 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2016, 10:40 AM
    Pay Cut
    Hi,

I read one of your articles. I have an employee who is in and out of jail but does good work for me. He is making $18 an hour. I think I should lower his pay to $16 an hour because he is often absent because of jail. Is this a bad idea because an employer should never lower an employees pay? Is the only choice I have is keep him at $18 or fire him?

What I am worried about are the negative repercussions.

Thank you for your help.

Audrey
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2016, 10:59 AM
    You can tell him that his frequent absences are costing you money as you have to either hire temp help to cover or in lost productivity. Because of that if he wants to continue to work for you, he needs to take a paycut. While it's a risk that he may walk, I think the risk is small because he would find it hard to find an employer so lenient.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2016, 06:43 PM
    Why a 2 dollar cut in pay, what exactly is this going to change ?'

When he is present, does he earn and is puductive ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I am on welfare and cut off child support orders do I have to pay back? [ 1 Answers ]

If I am on welfare and the father pays child support and wants me to take off the order do I have to pay child support services back?

Hours cut at work can I get severance pay [ 5 Answers ]

I have worked at my restaurant for 7 years I called in sick hungover and couldn't work I got my Friday night shift cut now I work 2 days a week can I resign and still get severnce pay for the years I put in to the restaurant?

Pay cut and child support [ 1 Answers ]

If I have a court order to pay x amount per month and I received a 25% pay cut, may I cut the child support and alamony by 25%?

Can I get unemployment if I had a pay cut [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get unemployment if I had a pay cut

Contracted raise, pay-cut, severance. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an employment agreement that guaranteed me a increase (20%) at the end of my first year. The company has so far not responded to my requests to address the issue (it's well past my anniversary.) There is a clause in the agreement that states I can leave for cause if the company fails to...

View more questions Search