Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2016, 04:48 AM
    Car ownership
    Would it be a good idea? The son does all the driving. But the father owns the car. The son has no income. Would it be a good idea to sign the car over to the son in case of an accident. Would the father still be responsible since he is no longer owner of the car?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 6, 2016, 05:53 AM
    If the father is no longer owner and isn't driving, he would have zero responsibility. Most states have a special form for family to gift a car to immediate family, to avoid tax. Make sure they get that form before standing in a long line at the DMV, and make sure the father signs both that form and the title. They MUST have the title, and it must be free of liens. The son should be able to keep the license plates. I was able to, in CT.

They can change the insurance after doing the paperwork at the DMV. It's a totally new policy, not a transfer.

If the son is 25 or under, it's not worth any of this. If he has a history of violations, it might not be worth it either.

Is the father worried mainly about losing his home/other assets if sued, or just wants to gift it while alive to make it easier (this is true), or another reason?
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2016, 06:30 AM
    Thank you. The son is 36. Good driving record. Father is worried about being sued.
    current pert

Nov 6, 2016, 07:12 AM
    Then I would gift it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2016, 09:43 AM
    36 and no income? How will he afford the car, gas, insurance, maintenance? Unless there are unusual circumstances, a 36 yr. old should be able to find a job, even at a fast food place.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2016, 03:53 PM
    I have to agree, no job, no use of the car (at least at my home)
    current pert

Nov 6, 2016, 05:58 PM
    ' The son does all the driving' implies that the son takes care of his dad in some way. At the very least, drives him places. This can be a 7 day job. It often comes with handy work around the house. Are we here to pick apart the son? He has a clean driving record and no other detrimental history.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 6, 2016, 07:48 PM
    Buy liability insurance, its required in most states
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 7, 2016, 04:51 PM
    Just have to add that if the father decides not to gift the vehicle to the son at the very least the son needs to be listed as the primary driver on the insurance. If he's not listed as the primary now, then you're setting yourself up to be sued if he has an accident, and you're also committing fraud.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone never transferred ownership of car ? [ 4 Answers ]

Sometime ago I sold a car to a person who never changed the plate insurance there was no insurance coverage no registration just the license plate the person parked in a handicapped parking space and ever since I have been getting tickets and now I got a ticket that states I have ten days to pay...

Car ownership [ 2 Answers ]

My mom passed away and left behind a car that was paid free and clear she was divirced and has 2 children who gets the car

Car ownership [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a used car from a guy a year ago and paid it off last summer. The guys office burned and all of his records went with it. He's still saying that I owe him money. He already put the title in my name and I have it in my possession. The car turned out to be a lemon and I've since paid over...

Car ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I helped a friend of our daughter purchase a car several months back. He is a minor. The agreement was that we would help him purchase the car, transfer the title directly to his Mother and she would pay the insurance premiums. Since that time his Mom has informed us that she no...

View more questions Search