Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frogstyle916 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2016, 03:56 PM
    Who is at fault
    My car hit something on the freeway which cause the vehicle to stop and unable to move off to the shoulder immeditatey the flashers was turned on and still I was hit from behind the vehicle was totaled "WHO IS AT FAULT"?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2016, 04:24 PM
    The car that hit you from the rear is mostly at fault.
    Since you were parked on the highway, a court may find you partially at fault.

But normally most of the fault would be the person who hits another from behind
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 5, 2016, 05:08 PM
    I always believed that the person who rear ends you is at fault.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 5, 2016, 05:58 PM
    I say 50/50. The person that hit you is 50% at fault because they should have been able to stop and avoid a collision if they saw your vehicle stopped. You are 50% at fault for stopping on the freeway and not pulling over to the shoulder, therefore blocking traffic.

Now, the insurance company on both sides will investigate, so a lot will depend on both your actions, the other drivers actions, and the timing. For instance, how soon after you stopped in the middle of the freeway, were you hit? Instantly? A few minutes later? Why were you unable to move to the shoulder? Was your vehicle still running and capable of moving to the safety of the shoulder?

While most times the person at fault is the one that rear ends the other vehicle, in this case it's not clearly that drivers fault. You were stopped on a freeway.

For instance, I was stopped behind a vehicle in a line up of vehicles stopped at a red light. The car behind me was hit by an ambulance, pushing that car into my car, and my car into the car in front of me. Now according to what most people believe about rear enders, I would be responsible for the car in front of me, the car behind me would be responsible for me, and the ambulance would be responsible for the car it hit. But no. In that case the ambulance was responsible for all damages since all the other vehicles were stopped and only hit the cars in front of them because of the impact of the ambulance.

As a former insurance underwriter I can see this being a 50/50 case if you're lucky, a 100% your fault case if you push it. You did not safely remove yourself from the freeway, and had you done so, the accident wouldn't have happened.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2016, 06:39 PM
    I agree with Alty... you are taught, at least used to be taught, if your car is experiencing problems IMMEDIATELY, move towards the shoulder. There may be times that's not possible, but most of the time it is. A wheel falling off, maybe...if you hit a piano that fell off a truck probably, a flat tire however is no excuse. If the motor stops you are on the freeway, you have momentum that will allow you to get at least most of the way over... Assuming you aren't blocked by traffic from doing do.

THe insurance companies will investigate. Police don't always investigate if there are no injuries or private property damage. In any case its not always as simple as most may think.
    frogstyle916 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2016, 11:37 PM
    my car was not able to move I had run into a tire rim that someone had lost and it instantly disabled the vehicle my girlfriend the passenger was on the phone with 911 still ringing to notify them of the situation when I was hit from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I say 50/50. The person that hit you is 50% at fault because they should have been able to stop and avoid a collision if they saw your vehicle stopped. You are 50% at fault for stopping on the freeway and not pulling over to the shoulder, therefore blocking traffic.

Now, the insurance company on both sides will investigate, so a lot will depend on both your actions, the other drivers actions, and the timing. For instance, how soon after you stopped in the middle of the freeway, were you hit? Instantly? A few minutes later? Why were you unable to move to the shoulder? Was your vehicle still running and capable of moving to the safety of the shoulder?

While most times the person at fault is the one that rear ends the other vehicle, in this case it's not clearly that drivers fault. You were stopped on a freeway.

For instance, I was stopped behind a vehicle in a line up of vehicles stopped at a red light. The car behind me was hit by an ambulance, pushing that car into my car, and my car into the car in front of me. Now according to what most people believe about rear enders, I would be responsible for the car in front of me, the car behind me would be responsible for me, and the ambulance would be responsible for the car it hit. But no. In that case the ambulance was responsible for all damages since all the other vehicles were stopped and only hit the cars in front of them because of the impact of the ambulance.

As a former insurance underwriter I can see this being a 50/50 case if you're lucky, a 100% your fault case if you push it. You did not safely remove yourself from the freeway, and had you done so, the accident wouldn't have happened.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2016, 09:41 AM
    Report it to your insurance company and let them work it out.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 7, 2016, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frogstyle916 View Post
    my car was not able to move I had run into a tire rim that someone had lost and it instantly disabled the vehicle my girlfriend the passenger was on the phone with 911 still ringing to notify them of the situation when I was hit from behind.
    Sadly there are always two sides to the story, and I'd bet that the person that hit you has a very different story than yours.

I'm not at all disputing that you weren't able to move, but it may still be your fault as you were blocking traffic.

It will likely come down to an investigation. How soon after you hit the tire were you hit from behind? You say you were already on the phone, that your hazard lights were on. If that's found to be what happened then the other driver may be held responsible. I still see this as a 50/50 case, and that's how I'd rule if I were the insurance adjuster handling this, based on what you've told me. Why? You were blocking traffic, which caused the accident, but you didn't do so willingly. The other driver should have been paying closer attention and seen you stopped unable to move. So really both of you played a part in this happening, and unless you can win for sure, I'd take the 50/50, let your insurance pay for your damages, and the other drivers insurance pay for his.

Also, the street itself will play a large part in how the investigation goes. Were you stopped in a blind spot for the drivers behind you (over a hill, around a corner), what time of day did this happen, was it rush hour? How was the flow of traffic? A lot of things will factor into who is at fault. This is definitely not a clear cut case by any means in my opinion.

Just happy no one was injured or killed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 11, 2016, 05:31 PM
    I find it hard to believe that OP's car was actually unable to move. If the car was high-centered on the object so that the powered wheels were unable to move the car, Or if the engine quit, maybe.

Also, since this happened on a freeway, the driver of the other car may argue that he or she was unable to stop in time. But in my experience way too many freeway drivers follow the cars in front of them way too closely. If that is the case here, the other driver may well be at fault.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant blower fault & coil fault messages in Nordyne modulating furnace [ 2 Answers ]

We have continuous blower fault errors messages on IQDrive thermostadt and if we go to furnace, turn off... wait a few min... then turn back on... message Clears, furnace blower will start again and will be OK for about 2 weeks and then same error. Intermixed with this periodically are coil...

My york furnace is reading a fault #9(Grounding or reverse polarity fault)? [ 0 Answers ]

My furnace is reading a #9 fault, which the legend says it's a grounding or reverse polarity fault. I have power in, 120V at the transformer as well as 24V, there is a call for heat and 24V at the R & W terminals. Is there any input anyone can offer me? Thank you.

I had accident last month.It was other guy's fault.no police report.he says my fault [ 13 Answers ]

I had accident last month.It was other guy's fault. He admitted it. So I didn't call the police & no police report. After filing the claim with his insurance company, he has said that it was my fault. So his insurance company denied my claim. They say that they denied the claim because there is no...

Is it possible to change a at fault auto accident to no fault in NYS [ 4 Answers ]

How do you get a at fault accident changed to no fault? No guide rails on the shoulder of a 20 foot drop made from a culvert pipe - was clearly not drivers fault but is on the accident report as at fault. No markers of any danger. Is there anything that can be done?

View more questions Search