Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    COOKIE MONSTER Posts: 589, Reputation: 56

Nov 2, 2016, 12:56 PM
    Pan leucopenia or cat flu
    Hi I live in ireland. I found 3 kittens at the back of my shed to me they look like they have cat flu. I cleaned there eyes and noses because they were gewy,poor little things sneezing,got them to eat and drink,put drops in there ears to clean and kill mites.
    I took them to the vets today and he said they have pan leucopenia but they don't have the symptoms of it no diarrhoea,vomiting,fever. I Googled pan leucopenia and nowhere I looked says anything about gewy eyes,sneezing,weezing in the symptoms.
    Am I wrong to question my vets diagnosis?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 2, 2016, 01:47 PM
    Vets aren't always right, and it sounds like you have a reason to question this diagnosis.

What tests, if any, did the vet do?

I would question the vet about the diagnosis, ask why, with none of the symptoms, he gave the diagnosis he did. You already paid to see him, and you have a right to question things. So question him. But, if it were me, I'd not only question the vet, but I'd get a second opinion, and I'd ask for an explanation as to why you were given the diagnosis when it doesn't fit with the symptoms.

These babies need help either way, and the right diagnosis and treatment is the first step in ensuring that they make it.

I wish you all the best of luck keeping these little ones alive and making them healthy.

Nov 2, 2016, 02:20 PM
    Hi Alty he just looked at them,no tests he poked the spine of one and told me it was poking out and that's an indication its not in a good way said its white blood cells are low, he said to come back to him in an hour.I went back he said he gave the worse one antibiotics that will last 4 days and fluids and a bottle of eye drops between the 3 of them. I'm going to take them to another vet tomorrow I still think its cat flu,I've looked a photos of cats with pan leucopenia and the kittens don't look anything like that, googled cat flu and every photo looks like them gewy, eyes snotty nose,sneezing. I admit they look a bit better since they were at the vets but I don't think i agree with the diagnosis.

just looking at the vet bill he gave the worse one :antibiotic cover long acting injection, and intra peritoneal fluids with antibiotics and maxitrol eye drops
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 2, 2016, 02:34 PM
    Having had a lot of cats in my barn at one time, I recognize the signs and symptoms of distemper in the kittens you mention. Upper respiratory infections causing sneezing, running eyes, etc. are signs of this often fatal condition. Sometimes caused by low birth weight kittens, neglected by the queen (mother cat). I had a small one die in my arms with the same symptoms years ago.

Of course, this is just my opinion from previous knowledge and observations over the years. I am not a vet.

PS

I dont know what you read when googled, but google this article and you will see that the vet did not diagnose improperly.

Panleukopenia (Feline Distemper) in Cats & Kittens - PetEducation.com

Mar 19, 2017, 06:58 PM
    After taking the sickest kitten to the vets he said it was cat flu. We re homed two of them and kept the sickest one who we took to another vet.He gave our kitten an injection and tablets and took blood to make serum to try and fix her eyes. We went back the next day so he could show me how to put the serum in her eyes and after cleaning her eyes every few hours and putting serum in,one of her eyes had a dimple in which has gone now the other isn't to bad either,she will always have a mark in that eye but she can still see to pounce on you and chase yarn. We ended up calling her Beautiful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am pregnant and I have the flu, so I bought: equate night time cold and flu and [ 2 Answers ]

Just need to know if these medications will harm the baby or not. I am 20weeks and three days pregnant I have the flu I bought: equate nitetime cold and flu and also handy solutions sinus relief congestion!

How to connect cistern to toilet pan using a pan-cone [ 2 Answers ]

I have replaced the toilet cistern and when I connect the cistern to the pan with a pan-cone I have a leak from the outer edge of the cone. I have reseated the pipe in the cone several times and each time I get the same leak. Can anybody help?

Wall hung pan vs. Floor mounted pan [ 1 Answers ]

Please inform which is better to install in a bathroom/toilet , a wall hung pan or floor mounted pan?

Cat doesn't want to pee in litter pan [ 6 Answers ]

One of my cats, I have four will poop in the litter pan but won't pee in it. I have tried everything. She has one place in the garage where she does this all the time. Seems like I've tried eveything and I've had cats for years and have never had to deal with this before.

Cat pan problem [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know why, but my cat has decided to go all over the house instead of in his catpan. Nothing new going on and no new litter, etc. I know after his surgery a couple of months ago, for an ear hemotoma, his stools were loose, but now they are hard. I wonder if he is constipated and just goes...

View more questions Search