Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Oct 30, 2016, 01:04 PM
    Hard Boiled Eggs Cracking
    When I make hard boiled eggs there is nearly always one that breaks, it's messy and annoying. Is there any way to prevent this? I've heard that putting salt in the water can help but it doesn't work for me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2016, 01:24 PM
    Don't drop fresh eggs into the pot so they hit bottom and might get a hairline crack. Fill the pot half full with water and gently put each egg into the water.

Do you put the cold eggs into a pot of cold water and gradually get to boiling? Or do you put the cold eggs into hot water?
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Oct 30, 2016, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Don't drop fresh eggs into the pot so they hit bottom and might get a hairline crack. Fill the pot half full with water and gently put each egg into the water.

Do you put the cold eggs into a pot of cold water and gradually get to boiling? Or do you put the cold eggs into hot water?
    I usually use hot water because cold water takes even longer to start boiling.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2016, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    I usually use hot water because cold water takes even longer to start boiling.
    There's the problem! You're putting cold eggs into hot water. *crack* *crack* (And you have checked the fresh eggs for hairline cracks, right?)

It doesn't take that long to bring the cold water to boil. AND, put the lid on the pot. As soon as the water boils, TURN OFF the heat, DO NOT remove the lid (even to peek), and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 15-20 minutes. Perfectly boiled eggs!

Now you can ask me about taking off shells the easiest way.... :-)
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Oct 30, 2016, 01:51 PM
    http://lifehacker.com/two-tricks-for...-eg-1506259273
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 30, 2016, 03:10 PM
    I poke holes in the eggs, a tiny hole on each end, then lukewarm water and bring to a boil. They never crack.

Use a sewing needle to poke the holes. Never ever place in hot water, they have to slowly be brought to boil.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 30, 2016, 03:26 PM
    I put the eggs in the pot then add lukewarm water, then bring to a boil. Never a broken egg.

Never put cold eggs in boiling water, they will explode.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peeling hard-boiled eggs [ 4 Answers ]

I make hard-boiled eggs often and while most of them peel easily, I sometimes get a few that are very difficult to peel and a lot of the white comes off with the bits of shell. Is there any way to make sure that all of them peel well?

How Do You Know When the Boiled Eggs Have Been Boiled Enough? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, All! Okay, some of you regulars know that I've been getting into the deviled egg thing. Have been doing lots of experimenting with fixing them. Also, I'm finding that preparing them is a really messy thing to do! My question is though, how do you know when you've boiled them enough,...

Hard boiled eggs [ 29 Answers ]

Any tips how to make it easier to remove the shells from Hard boiled eggs?

Hard boiled eggs [ 2 Answers ]

Can you freeze hard boiled eggs

How long are hard boiled eggs safe for consumption [ 1 Answers ]

How long are refrigerated hard boiled eggs still in the shell good? How long before they are no longer safe or good to eat?

View more questions Search