Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fishing4limits Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2016, 07:11 PM
    Garage lighting
    Hello there,
    I have a light and switch on the sid of my garage and would like to add two more lights and a swtch off the same power source. Could you please show me on a drawing ow this would be done. Thank you for all you help.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2016, 08:43 PM
    Pick up an inexpensive book at a hardware store or home improvement store on electrical circuits. It will have diagrams and pictures to help you much better than any answer here. You will be dealing with series / parallel circuits.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2016, 08:56 PM
    Difficult to answer you because we have no idea as to how the original circuit was wired . Do you know the difference between through wiring and a switch loop? Take the cover off the switch and tell us how many wires, colors and how connected.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 30, 2016, 07:36 AM
    You need to help us quite a bit more.

Adding the lights to the existing circuit is fairly straight forward. It's a matter of adding the lights to both the source black and then tying all of the Neutrals (Whites) together.

However, if your intent is to control the operation of the lights from two locations, then the process becomes more complex.

The wiring has to change between the switches (3 wire) Two of which are called runners the third would be a power source.

The type switches would also have to change. You would need to replace the standard snap switch with two "Three way" switches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater shuts off without lighting or lighting for a brief moment [ 1 Answers ]

The aire flo heater starts normally, when the igniter lights it stays lit for a few seconds and then the furnace shuts down. I have observed this several times. Once, the gas did ignite but only weakly and briefly (1 second) then it shut down. I'm not sure what part needs replacing. The furnace...

Need light fixture for a obsoleted Progress Lighting 3 circuit track lighting system [ 1 Answers ]

I have an operating Progress Lighting 3 circuit tracking system that has one broken light fixture of its seven fixtures that are still operating.I need a replacement fixture since one is broken. Where can I try to get one? Thanks, Tom Madison

Add-on lighting in garage [ 1 Answers ]

I presently have a one (1) light / single switch hookup in the garage. I would like to piggyback off this switch or light (whichever is easier) in order to ADD two (2) 4' Fluorescent shop lights. Can I do this, and is it hard to do?

Garage lighting in a 30'x40' [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, my question is... is there a rule of thumb for lighting placement and amount of wattage per square foot of room? My new garage is 1200 sq ft (30'x40'). I would like to go with fluorescent lighting. I live in Kentucky with some cold in the winter. I was told to go with the T8 because of cold...

View more questions Search