Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richtcs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2016, 05:15 PM
    1 stage heat pump vs. 2 stage?
    I have a 1 bedroom home (half of a duplex) that's roughly 650 s.f. with a 1.5 ton straight cooling system, with electric heat, in Central Florida (so the cooling is far more used than the heating!). The air handler is 20+ years old and the condenser is about 12 years old so I'm getting to the point where I need to plan for a new system.

First, I assume that in general a heat pump is a better choice than a straight cooling system?

Second and more important, I had a sales guy tell me that I should consider a two-stage heat pump to help with reducing humidity. Since I'm in Central Florida, we have pretty high humidity year round. It's not such a big deal inside during the long summertime because the AC system pulls out enough moisture to keep the humidity down. But during the cooler months when I'm not running the AC, humidity gets to be more of an issue and the electric heating (when used periodically) doesn't do anything to help that.

The sales guy told me that with a two-stage heat pump, it could run on the lower speed to help reduce humidity; during the hot summer it would shift up frequently to the higher speed to cool more. In cooler months it would stay on the low speed and that would help to pull the moisture out of the air.

Am I understanding this correctly, and more specifically - is a two-stage heat pump system a good choice for my situation? Thanks!
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2016, 08:40 PM
    You are understanding it pretty well. The two stage equipment will give you most of your cooling at a lower operating cost. It also runs longer at the first stage which in turn will help with the humidity issue. Too large of an air conditioner tends to cool very fast then shut off. That fast cycling doesn't adequately remove the humidity.
    Some equipment has a setting to keep the fan on 24/7 at a reduced speed until the cooling is called for. This regulates both temperature and humidity better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

heat pump two stage vs single stage variable speed [ 0 Answers ]

I have a three story house with a single unit that needs replacing. One vendor is recommending a single stage compressor because the furnace will have a variable speed fan. He says the fan speed & lower stage on the compressor will prevent cool air from ever reaching the top floor. Others say I...

Two stage heat pump with two stage furnace and only three stage thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

I had an Amana two stage heat pump installed with a Goodman two stage gas furnace. I have a Comfortnet thermostat and it omly uses the two stage heat pump and high side of furnace. What is the use to have a two s two stage furnace.

Two stage vs single stage heat pump compressors- How much energy does a 2 stage save? [ 1 Answers ]

I am comparing 5 ton heat pumps; some with 2 stage compressors and some with single. Does the two stage really save that much energy when on a 5 ton compressor? Is it worth an extra $1200?

Thermostat for Multi Stage Heat Pump with Aux Heat & Stage Display [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to find a Thermostat for my Multi-Stage Heat Pump which Displays when the system is operating on high or Low and also displays if it is running on Aux Heat. Can anyone recommend a Thermostat that does this?

Benefits of two stage vs single stage heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing a 20 year old Lennox two stage heat pump. Live in northwest Florida panhandle. 2400 sq foot single story home. One AC tech suggested not using a two stage replacement unit because of cost. What are advantages of two stage over single and what should I consider in choosing...

View more questions Search