Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abgrosh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2016, 07:45 PM
    Home addition and rain
    We are entering the rainy season in Northern CA, at the same time as we would like to put an addition onto our house. Our contractor has advised us not to do so, stating he would much prefer to do the addition after the rainy season to avoid the possibility of rain damage to the existing house structure. He will do what he can to minimize the risk by removing the roof at the last possible moment. We are not in a rush to move forward but are anxious to get started. What feedback can you provide? Thank you.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2016, 07:48 PM
    He makes a valuable point. And if I was him I'd make sure you accepted all responsibility for water damage in the written contract or I wouldn't touch it until the weather was better.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 27, 2016, 08:01 PM
    'We are not in a rush to move forward but are anxious to get started.' LOL! Can you elucidate? You want to start, even if it just sits there out in the rain? My mother insisted, in 1970, on starting in November in New England. What a mistake that proved to be over the next 40 years...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 28, 2016, 06:04 AM
    Sure you are anxious. You want to see your plans materialize but at what cost ? You say you are not in a rush. LOL. Take an expert's advice (your contractor) and go with it. No one n my neck of the woods (southern Ontario) carries on a renovation in deep winter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Settled slab of home addition [ 0 Answers ]

I'm looking at purchasing a house that seemingly has some slab problems the floor running through the living room is bowed up , and it runs through to the master bedroom where it is less obvious. All of this area is where an additional slab was poured to add sq ft. to the house I would like to...

Can I deduct the cost of an addition on my home if half my home is rented? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roommate who shares half my house equally. I claim his rent as income and have for the past two years. If I decide to put a small addition on my home to add a second bathroom, can I deduct this expenses since I am renting half my home. If I can, how much of the expense can I deduct in this...

Can I claim home addition costs? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, During the last year I paid for the following. I would like to know if I can claim for any of the following payments on my tax returns: 1)Motor vehicle License renewal fees 2)Bought a used car and paid for its registration to the Registry of Motor Vehicles. 3)Paid $89000 home(residence)...

New home addition -home equity loan or remortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I am 54yrs old and have only 3 yrs left on mortgage.. I want to put on a new addition to house and looks like I will have to borrow $80,000.. Do I want to do home equity or remortgage? I would like to retire in 11 yrs or less

New addition on home [ 5 Answers ]

What do I need to know when before I talk to contractors? I am putting on an addition to my ranch style home and I feel like I am clueless. Please help.

View more questions Search