Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Oct 27, 2016, 12:12 AM
    Confusion in electric potential/potential energy related calculation.
    I found this question in a tutorial video:
    An alpha particle with kinetic energy equal to 11 mega electron volts is directed to a lead nucleus. How close will it get to the nucleus before the particle completely stops?

Well, how am I supposed to solve this question without knowing the distance of the point where it first had 11 MeV energy? I mean the distance of the point the particle was released with that kinetic energy.

Is the solution, he wrote "work done equals the potential energy at the point the alpha particle stops."
    And goes k*q1*q2/R=kinetic energy and solves for R as the answer.
    Isn't that true only if the particle is released from infinity?

My main point is that I need a two point yo calculate the electrical potential energy in reference to each other. But the second one is not mentioned. And they ask me to solve for first point.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 27, 2016, 05:47 AM
    I think you are correct, but from a practical point of view any reasonable starting distance is essentially infinity. Try solving for initial distance of say, 1 meter and compare that to the result of initial distance = infinity and I think you'll find essentially no difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confusion over gravitational potential energy [ 1 Answers ]

I know that when an object A does positive work on another object B, object A loses energy and object B gains energy(there is transfer of energy from object A to object B) and when object A does negative work on object B, it gains energy and object B loses energy(there is transfer of energy from...

Importance of Kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation [ 0 Answers ]

What's the importance of kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation

Explain with the revelance, the importance of Kinetic and potential energy in energy [ 1 Answers ]

Explain with the relevance, the importance of kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation

Potential energy [ 1 Answers ]

A wooden block with mass 1.55 kg is placed against a compressed spring at the bottom of a slope inclined at an angle of 32.0 degrees (point A). When the spring is released, it projects the block up the incline. At point B, a distance of 4.45 m up the incline from A, the block is moving up the...

View more questions Search