Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rxgest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2016, 07:30 PM
    What is a simple way to stop my computer from updating and restarting in Windows 10?
    I used to leave my computer working on something overnight when I used Windows 7 and it would stay on. Now, with this danged Windows 10, the darned thing restarts and kills whatever I had working. I have looked on the Internet but the solutions there seemed to complex for me to follow. There has to be a simple way to prevent the computer from restarting when Windows 10 wants to. Please help.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2016, 04:05 AM
    Efficient Googling can be a lifesaver:
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=preve...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    rxgest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2016, 07:11 AM
    This absolutely does not work. So I would appreciate it if someone else provides an answer. Some of what this presented fix talks about choices that are no longer present since the Anniversary Update. I did Google efficiently and had already found this answer.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2016, 07:31 AM
    Here are the instructions to disable auto restarts for windows 10 Pro and Home editions. If you have a different version (education, enterprise) the process is different - update your question to that effect and I'll add that info.
    There are two methods provided. The first is Pro only. Win 10 home doesn't have the group policy editor so it has to be configured via the registry. This registry method will work for both Pro and Home.
    I confirmed that this works on the Anniversary update version (win 10 pro). There is one caveat - a user must be logged in for this approach to work.
    Win 10 Pro:

1. Press win+R then type gpedit.msc and press enter
    2. This will open the group policy editor. Browse through the 'tree' to the following entry: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
    3. Look on the right panel and search for the option named No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations.
    4. Double-click on it, then change the radio button in the popup window that will appear from not configured to enabled and click OK.
    5. To make the system immediately apply the changes you just made, press WIN + R again and issue the gpupdate /force command

Win 10 Pro (alternative method) and Home:

1. Press win+R; type regedit and press enter.
    2. Browse to the following registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    3. If you do not have a WindowsUpdate and/or AU entry, you need to create them. Follow the 'source' link below for add'l info on how to do this.
    4. Inside the AU key, create a new 32-bit DWORD called NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers, then double-click on it and set its hex value to 1.
    5. You'll have to reboot for the change to be applied.

Another alternative - home or pro

If for whatever reason the approach above doesn't work, you can get around automatic reboots by changing your windows update settings so that you only download updates automatically and it requests approval before installing them. Once you approve installation you are at the mercy of when Windows reboots, but you have the ability to otherwise indefinitely delay it.
    To change this setting:

1. Press win+R; type regedit and press enter.
    2. Browse to the following registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update
    3. Change the value of that key to a '3' (which configures windows update to download updates automatically but require user confirmation before installing them).

Source:
    Disable Automatic Restarts in Windows 10 Home Anniversary Update - Super User
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 6, 2016, 02:27 PM
    Are yu sure this is an updae problem? Do you have a nvidia enabled video card? Win10 doesnt like nvidia and reboots from corruption of the video card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my computer keep restarting when I load windows xp onto it [ 3 Answers ]

I have put a new motherboard in my tower it all works but when I try and install windows xp my computer keeps restarting can anybody help

Continue restarting of my windows [ 1 Answers ]

Recently, I became crazy that my windows had a problem of continue restarting , I ran an antivirus scan but nothing was found... Thought that was hardware problem... and I took my cpu to the nearby manufacturer... and he also couldn't fix it.. at last I got mad and formatted my whole computer.. ...

My windows xp is restarting [ 3 Answers ]

I have I problem with my windows xp, my PC is restarting when ever it wants.. some times its working for days but sometimes it restarting 5 times in an hour.. I've tryied with linux and its not restarting under linux, but when I went back to XP it started restarting again

Updating windows [ 3 Answers ]

Should a apartment complex have to change old windows after so long.

Windows keeps restarting [ 4 Answers ]

My windows keeps restarting itself.I think may be a virus but can't say for sure. Can Someone help out.. thanks

View more questions Search