Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DCResident1806 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2016, 10:01 AM
    Joint account for green card couples any gift tax issue?
    Hi all, can you help me on this issue?

If a green card couple set up a joint account, wife was the only party contributing and withdrawing the funds when the account existed. Would the contribution and/or withdrawal be considered as gifting? Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 11:02 AM
    No - gift taxes do not apply to gifts or money transfers between spouses.

Oct 26, 2016, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    No - gift taxes do not apply to gifts or money transfers between spouses.
    I checked with the IRS rule, it seems that the case you mentioned only applies to the spouses who are both US citizens. What if both couple are green card holders?
    Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 11:54 AM
    To be honest I hadn't considered this before. I found this article which suggests that for non-US citizens the marital gift tax exclusion is $148K for 2016: https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-a...n-gift-3505671

Also from page 2 of the instructions for Form 709, "US Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return," for tax year 2015 is this:

"Gifts to your spouse. You must file a gift tax return if you made any gift to your spouse of a terminable interest that does not meet the exception described in Life estate with power of appointment, or if your spouse is not a U.S. citizen and the total gifts you made to your spouse during the year exceed $147,000."

So if you make a gift to your spouse that exceeds this number it would trigger form 709. You may not actually owe any gift tax, but the form must be filed.

Oct 26, 2016, 12:12 PM
    To be honest I hadn't considered this before. I found this article which suggests that for non-US citizens the marital gift tax exclusion is $148K for 2016: https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-a...n-gift-3505671

Also from page 2 of the instructions for Form 709, "US Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return," for tax year 2015 is this:

"Gifts to your spouse. You must file a gift tax return if you made any gift to your spouse of a terminable interest that does not meet the exception described in Life estate with power of appointment, or if your spouse is not a U.S. citizen and the total gifts you made to your spouse during the year exceed $147,000."

So if you make a gift to your spouse that exceeds this number it would trigger form 709. You may not actually owe any gift tax, but the form must be filed.
    Thank you for your input. So back to my question, is contribution to a joint account considered as gifting? Thank you in advance for your advice.:)
    Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 12:37 PM
    The creation of a joint account is not a gift event, nor is it a gift when one spouse contributes money to the account. However, if one spouse withdraws a larger amount of money than he/she put in, the excess is considered a gift. So you can avoid gift tax issues if the spouse who makes the most contributions is also the spouse who makes the most withdrawals (i.e. writes the checks).

For reference, see: http://budgeting.thenest.com/gift-ta...nts-32922.html

Oct 26, 2016, 06:52 PM
    The creation of a joint account is not a gift event, nor is it a gift when one spouse contributes money to the account. However, if one spouse withdraws a larger amount of money than he/she put in, the excess is considered a gift. So you can avoid gift tax issues if the spouse who makes the most contributions is also the spouse who makes the most withdrawals (i.e. writes the checks).

For reference, see: Gift Tax Rules & Joint Bank Accounts - Budgeting Money
    Thanks a ton!! It is really helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift taxes from Green Card holder to US family member [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, My ageing Mum holds a green card and is living in Europe . She want to give me the title to a piece of land that she purchased in 1991 for $ 20,000. The land is now valued at around $ 250,000 . I am her son and hold US citizenship . What are the tax implications . Will there be an...

Gift Taxes from a US Green Card holder [ 5 Answers ]

My mother lives overseas, but has a US green card, has decided to help with my home renovations and will be sending money in installments to help out. Amount will be around $50K per year for around 5 years. 1. Since she has a green card does that mean she has to pay US gift taxes? If Yes,...

My mother green card issue [ 2 Answers ]

My mother came with a tourist visa, I applied for her green card (I'm a US citizen) and she stayed about 3 years, then the interview came to El Salvador's consulate so she went back home and she was denied entering to the US, we appealed and was denied what could we do in this situation? Please...

Gift to green card holder [ 1 Answers ]

I am a green card holder from Europe. I am retired and spend some 6 months every year in the US. I have no income in the US, I receive a pension from Europe and have rental income from two commercial units inEurope. My daughter is also a green card holder, she is still in Europe thanks to a...

Green card issue [ 1 Answers ]

What is the immigration process for an expatriate spouse married to a US green card holder?

View more questions Search